• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to encourage play

sazgib

New Kit
Hi there, need some help here, I can often be seen on my belly on the floor bashing rabbit toys around with my nose and I have lost count of the numerous toys I have made for my little furball, however saying that he does not seem interested, have tried stacked boxes with holes in for climbing and hanging toys chewy toys and everything the only thing he plays with just very slightly is his toilet roll tubes but thats only the tiniest bit. as soon as I try to play with him we get into the licky phase of constant licks of affection and tiny nibbles when he thinks im going to move. I was wondering what else I could perhaps do to help encourage play without the licking or do you think this is just his little personality? only had him a week so still trying to determine what goes on in his little head :?

Thanks

Sarah

Aw, sounds like you're doing a great job!

My buns aren't ones for playing either. They like their tunnels, and they like the occasional box to hide in. They also seem to like having a dig box (tray filled with earth), and they love having levels to jump up on and look around. Other than that, they aren't really interested in toys. I don't think it matters really, as long as there is enough space to run around in and jump, and for them to be as natural as possible :)

Will he be getting a bunny friend at any point? He may become a bit more active etc if he had a friend.

Will he be getting a bunny friend at any point? He may become a bit more active etc if he had a friend.

We were initially going to get two but thought they would fight as we wanted two of the same sex as many bunnies is not something on my agenda. Just very worried that they would not get on if I bought a friend, as I dont really have the space for 2 big rabbit homes.

You've only had him a week. It sounds as if you need to let him have time to adjust to his new surroundings and new life.

Everything has to be at your bunny's own pace. You can't force the issue. Be patient and I feel sure that you will be eventually rewarded with a happy and settled little bun.

Spending time on the floor at his level is great. Let him come to you and perhaps reward him with a pellet of food.

As I said... ............just be patient. It will be fine.

Back