• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help - Guinea Pig

Hi my guinea pig is severly wheezing and sneezing. We have taken him to the vets and he has given us metacam and baytril to give hime. He said see how he is after 10 days what else can i do. Please help...:(

Oh the poor guinea darling. My rabbit has has this for a while now but not the snezzing just very runny and sore eyes so know what you're going through. Did the vet say anything about xrays to check for teeth problems etc?? What you can do is try to cut down on any dust in the bedding/house enviroment. I changed to newspaper bedding with dust free hay, I cleaned out any cobwebs too. Bunnies are outdoors in a playhouse so they do get a few webs in there. I also put bunny on Eccinachar (spelling??) which I'm 90% sure has helped too. You can try to use vet bed as this is totally dust free nice and soft too for guinea's feet along with being snug and warm too. Please have a chat to your vet as my one was very good with advice on how I can help ease the symptoms at home. After trying a number of medications the one that has made the most difference is an human antibiotic eye drop called something like 'Clioxan'. Although this has been going on since mid April we are finally getting somewhere and her eyes are looking much better now although not completely cleared up yet I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Poor little piggy.

Make sure he's kept nice and warm and is eating and drinking plenty.

Fingers crossed he improves very soon.

Take care. x

Hi thankyou his eyes and nose look fine the vet sad his teeth were fine. Its soo horrible watching him because he sneezes like every 5 minutes and you can just hear him trying to breathe :(

Did the vet not come up with a cause for the sneezing? I'd have thought it was a respiratory infection. If this is the case he will need antibiotics (as you have) and ideally a mucolytic as he will find it diffucult to shift the mucous on his chest.

Hi well he said he didnt know what was wrong with him but he said it could be an infection, i dont know whether to pts or to keep going with meds as he looks so sad :cry:

Respiratory infections are quite obvious if you listen to the lungs. If he does have one I think maybe a baytril injection as well as a steroid shot (instead of the metacam) and sub-cut fluids may have been appropriate. It's fixable though, just try and keep him warm, eating and drinking. Good luck.

Ok thankyou very much we will perhaps take him to the vets again, ive heard Sudafed Expectorant is meant to work and ive put vicks vapour rub on a tissue on top of his cage. Thanks

ok thanks i read somewhere 0.2 dose is that right. Also how long would you leave it as he really looks terrible and his breathing is so bad. Thankyou

also he is outside but i have house bunnies inside so dont want it spreading to them as vet said it could be contagious as i have also had to split him up from his companion :(

It's not likely to be contagious. I'd bring him in. Not sure about the dosage for guinea pigs but the rat dosage is 0.1ml so seems about right to me. You'd really expect to see an improvement after about 3 days. If he doesn't improve your vet may need to take a swab to find out what the bacteria is so a more suitable antibiotic can be given.

are you seeing a proper exotics vet? they have seen it so many times and know the best treatments more than normal vets. also, join the guinea pig forum aswell as i have seen many posts with piggies suffering the same thing.

i would also bring him in and keep him warm. x

You need to see a good piggy vet. Mine had Gubbins on Zithromax (antibiotic specifically for URIs) and bisolven sprinkled on his food.

Back