• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So I went to a place that breeds for P@H

RSPCA National Cruelty line 0300 1234 999

Sadly as people continue to buy from them people will continue to supply them. Its sad when even people on here buy a pet from them :(

I have vague recollections that premises selling for pets have to be licences by the local authority as a pet shop - it is the selling rather than the breeding which is the regulated activity, bizarrely.

RSPCA obviously if the 5 freedoms are not being adhered to, especially basic food, water and cleanliness.

After the above two have visited (if they do) I would suggest writing to pets at home and reflecting their own policy blurb which talks about how they carefully source their animals from wonderful places which are checked and monitored etc, ask them when the premises was last checked etc. There is always a chance that the owner is telling porkies about who they supply, or they do it on an ad-hoc basis with the store rather than through any national arrangements.

I don't know if DEFRA also have any involvement with commercial breeding activities?

Did you manage to sneek any pictures?
How about going to a newspaper and maybe they
would investigate?
It is very distressing .
Whereabouts was it ?
Maybe we should have a day of protest outside a PAH store to bring it
to the notice of the general public.

Last edited:
Reporting inadequate care

Firstly i would contact the RSPCA emergency cruelty line, easily found on google. Express your concerns for the animals immediate and long term health and well-being along with psychological health.
Then you need to contact the local council of the place rabbits are being kept and bred, its usually the licensing department.

Write a formal letter to the 'establishment' you visited and to PAH HQ, expressing your concerns and action you will/have taken involving the local authority and RSPCA.

If in doubt and the buns require urgent attention you can call the new non emergency police number 101 or contact your local police station.

It may also be useful to contact your local rabbit rescue center.

When you go out of your way to push for changes, people have to listen. I have myself reported establishments and changes have been made.

Best of luck and i sincerely hope those animals are given better care ASAP!

BTW i am a community support officer.

Last edited:
collecting evidence

If you are able to return to the place and take photos of the conditions, this will help in confiscating the animals and invalidating licenses.

If you have proof such as photographs of improper care, you can post flyers in the local area expressing your concerns to make the general public aware .
If you have proof you can not be charged for libel or slander.

If you are able to return to the place and take photos of the conditions, this will help in confiscating the animals and invalidating licenses.

If you have proof such as photographs of improper care, you can post flyers in the local area expressing your concerns to make the general public aware .
If you have proof you can not be charged for libel or slander.

That's exactly the opposite of the advice given in the thread I linked to. :? As I understand it, the investigation needs to be carried out by an organisation such as the RSPCA - photos taken by an individual (especially in secret) wouldn't be able to be used as evidence...... personally I think it would be far better to report it to those who are able to take the appropriate action & can make sure they build a watertight case against the breeder.

That's exactly the opposite of the advice given in the thread I linked to. :? As I understand it, the investigation needs to be carried out by an organisation such as the RSPCA - photos taken by an individual (especially in secret) wouldn't be able to be used as evidence...... personally I think it would be far better to report it to those who are able to take the appropriate action & can make sure they build a watertight case against the breeder.

:thumb:

If you do anything yourself, you end up being liable for so many things. If you do ANYTHING yourself, you can actually jeopardise the case against the accusee.

Don't worry, I have zero photos etc, and do not plan to go back for any or publicise the name of the place.

You are right. One would need to follow the advice i wrote in first, contact RSPCA and local authority, hand them any evidence with list of The Pet Animals Act 1951 infractions you as the individual have noted and wait for them to make a visit. After that you can bring up public awareness but do not risk the evidence being hidden before a visit by local council and rspca has been made.

usually there will be several visits which are made by the rspca and council licensing inspectors. Once they have done their job, you can make bad press for the establishment.

In my experience it is all kept much too quiet and i personally want anyone that keeps, breeds and sells animals in unfit conditions to be known and ruined! Or the business will make certain changes and keep mistreatment better hidden to continue making money. I don't believe these people really care about animals at all.

Back