• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT My friend's rabbits - unsuitable cages. Any ideas..?

Natty123

Warren Scout
Hi all,
Around a year ago, I bred my bunnies (safely and I knew what I was doing) and my friends had 4 of them. They had 1 boy and 3 girls. They didn't listen to me that they would soon start mating and they had babies. And they didn't listen again and had babies from those babies. And yet again they had another set of babies. It is completely unfair on the poor rabbits, as their housing isn't suitable, but when I try and subtly mention it, they just take no notice. The other day, the boy and 3 girls got out and they are refusing to take them to the vet to abort the babies, sad, but necessary. :(

Their housing is very small for the bunnies, although they do get handled quite a lot. The boy lives on his own next to the girls in a small hutch on top of a run. The mother and the babies now live in a small hutch at night and a run (about 7ft x 3ft) ,that we all built at their house, with the other 3 girls rabbits. The 3 girls go in a small 2 storey hutch at night. They all get looked after, fed and watered, and usually get cleaned out properly, although because they are in such a small hutch, the poo builds up very fast. I really don't know what to do though, because their opinion on how big housing should be is really not at all big enough. I don't want to report them as they are such close friends, but I have been showing them the set-ups on here to try and change their views. If anyone has ever been in a situation like this or if they know what I could do, could they please help? :thumb:

Last edited:
This is a terrible situation.

I would just have to say something. This can't go on, all the inbreeding between rabbits is not healthy and probably most of these bunnies will have genetic issues that will show later in life.

Breeding is irresponsible imo. There is really no need for it, especially when you can't even provide proper care for the rabbits in your care.

Just bite the bullet and talk to her. If it were my friend then I think we would have fallen out at the first breeding mishap!

Sadly, this is why only spayed/neutered rabbits should be rehomed- to avoid these situations, and also home checks. If you breed again, please ensure that you adjust your methods of rehoming so that the rabbits are put into better situations- there is a sticky about responsible breeding (and relating to rehoming them too) in the health section, which might be worthwhile reading.

As for your friend, you need to just bite the bullet and talk to her. You remain responsible for these rabbits for the rest of their life, and yes, the responsibility is shared because they live with someone else, but you have a large share of the responsibility and you owe it to the bunnies to make sure they have a good life; I'm sure you didn't bring the bunnies into the world to suffer and hoped they would have great lives, so now you need to do your best to ensure that happens.

Talk to her. If she is a true friend, she will listen and not make a big issue out of it i.e. she won't fall out with you. Get some leaflets about hutch sizes etc so you have printed proof about what you are saying as she may just think it's your opinion, not an expert's.

Even if you reported her it's doubtful anything would be done; you said yourself that they are well-looked after and are not in squalor and are therefore not at risk of harm.

Sadly, this is why only spayed/neutered rabbits should be rehomed- to avoid these situations, and also home checks. If you breed again, please ensure that you adjust your methods of rehoming so that the rabbits are put into better situations- there is a sticky about responsible breeding (and relating to rehoming them too) in the health section, which might be worthwhile reading.

As for your friend, you need to just bite the bullet and talk to her. You remain responsible for these rabbits for the rest of their life, and yes, the responsibility is shared because they live with someone else, but you have a large share of the responsibility and you owe it to the bunnies to make sure they have a good life; I'm sure you didn't bring the bunnies into the world to suffer and hoped they would have great lives, so now you need to do your best to ensure that happens.

This.

Could you take either the males or the females back to stop them from having any more accidents?

as Sky O said - you brought them into the world - its your responsibility to ensure their lives are the very best quality.

This is a terrible situation.

I would just have to say something. This can't go on, all the inbreeding between rabbits is not healthy and probably most of these bunnies will have genetic issues that will show later in life.

Breeding is irresponsible imo. There is really no need for it, especially when you can't even provide proper care for the rabbits in your care.

Just bite the bullet and talk to her. If it were my friend then I think we would have fallen out at the first breeding mishap!

Couldn't have said better myself!!!! :thumb::thumb:

Excellent advice.

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for the advice. I am just going to talk to her again, but it's not definite that she will listen to me. Angie B, would you know where I could get some housing leaflets to maybe pop in the post to them? I really can't take anymore bunnies from them though, as I already have 12 (looked after and cared for PROPERLY). Their daughter is now trying to persuade her parents to get a Wendy house, but they don't think it is a very good idea, as they think it's too big. They live on a 60 acre farm! It's just not fair on those bunnies. But I do think it is harder for them, as their dogs roam around the garden and have already got one of their bunnies before when the cage broke. I will post again if anything happens, but for now I think the bunnies are going to have to live like they are :cry:

Natty123, I think you can download copies of some leaflets from The Rabbit Welfare Association, if not you can order them.
www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
They cover virtually every aspect of responsible bunny ownership and their welfare.

Either pop some through their letterbox or give them to them direct. Which ever you think would be most effective.

Best of luck..

Natty123, I think you can download copies of some leaflets from The Rabbit Welfare Association, if not you can order them.
www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
They cover virtually every aspect of responsible bunny ownership and their welfare.

Either pop some through their letterbox or give them to them direct. Which ever you think would be most effective.

Best of luck..

Oh thank you, thats great! I will definitely give them to them either way :)

Back