• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some General Questions

ramblinghaggis

Young Bun
I wasnt sure what forum to put this in, hope its okay here!

I picked up my new rabbit Star this weekend. The lady I got her from had decided to rehome her after going back to full time work. I have owned a house rabbit before but it was a good four years or so back.

The previous owner told me she got Star from Pets at Home, but she doesnt know how old Star is. Around a year she thinks. Star hasnt had any injections or been neutered. She was being fed on tesco value rabbit food and hay.

As soon as I got her, I went to pets at home and picked up rabbit nuggets, timothy hay, a litter tray for her cage, a hay rack, mineral stone, rabbit tunnel, alfalfa bales and some rabbit chew toys. Does she need anything else? Vitamin drops maybe?

I am adding her to my pet insurance today and will be booking her in at the vet to have claws trimmed, teeth checked, injections and sort out neutering. I cant remember if rabbits need flea etc treated though?

She is a lovely rabbit though and I am very :love: about her! I had forgotton just how nice it is to have a rabbit around. She was obviously very much loved as she is very sociable, already doing binkies around the lounge and nudging for attention. I have attached a photo, not sure what type of rabbit she is!

24648741877546960391742.jpg

Shes a beauty :love:

Ditch the Alfalfa bales (too high in calcium) and the mineral lick, that shouldnt be needed at all. She shouldnt need vitamin drops :wave:

She shouldnt need flea treatment unless she has fleas :wave: I dont worm mine unless they have EC/show signs of worms :wave:

Be slow with swapping her food over from tesco to P@H stuff :wave: Rabbits have very delicate digestive systems so everything needs to be introduced slowly to avoid something called Stasis :wave:

hello, welcome to you and star

She's really beautiful! THey do bring a lot of joy. YOu prob have this but havent written it down - feeding bowls and a drinking dispenser. ANd cleaning stuff - dustpan,brush, pet disinfectant.

a good recommended vet can advise about the right vaccinations - our's were given a worming treatment. you could always post a thread asking for recommended vet in your area if you don't know one.

Enjoy her!!!

Thanks, she does have a feeding bowl and bottle. I havent cleaned her out yet, I got her on saturday and thought I would leave it a few days just so she had something familiar, but she has settled in so well, I plan on cleaning her out later today and attempting to encourage her to use the litter tray!

I have a vet for my cats, but I dont know how experienced he is with rabbits. I will ask him when I book star in. :)

:wave: thanks for the welcomes! I think she is gorgeous but I am completely biased! She is currently giving herself a bath and looking very cute!

I am in the Highlands!

Thank you! I bought the alfalfa bales as treats, what would you recommend would be okay to use for things like treat balls?

24515.jpg

Stephen has these in his treat ball and goes crazy trying to get them out. He only has them very sparingly though, and if possible I make my own treat balls out of toilet rolls and fresh herbs/rose petals. :) It's better for your bun and cheaper!

haha, yes I didnt realise they were quite so big! I actually saw the toilet roll balls earlier on, a great idea, especially as I have quite a big family so there is never a shortage of toilet rolls going spare!

My best advice for littler training is put something like newspaper or wood or paper based litter in the tray and then put fresh hay on top. Rabbits like to eat hay while they poo for some reason. :lol:

I've always had better results with bigger litter trays and now I use an under bed storage box. :wave:

Seems like you're getting some great advice here so I haven't read every post, but for treat balls I put their actual pellets in! Then I use bigger treats to get mine back in their shed or something. If you use a separate treat as well as pellets it's quite easy to accidentally give them too much which isn't a good thing. Only an eggcupful of pellets a day, and max 1/2 treats as buns will soon pile on the pounds with more than that!

I give them their veg as I would do a treat - cut up all you're going to give for that day and give throughout the day rather than just in a bowl :D

how much veg should they have a day? Currently star has a small handful of nuggets morning and night and lots of timothy hay. I then give her veg throughout the day in the form of treats (like the carrot cut up into pieces for the treatball!)

Welcome to RU. :DWhat a gorgeous bunny! :love::love:We also use underbed storage boxes for litter trays. The alfalfa bales are ok as an occasional treat. When you take her to a vet, best to get her sex checked and ask about neutering. Bunnies do well with company so if you can get her done and then get her a partner from a rescue that would be wonderful! Plus if she is a girl then getthing her done greatly reduces the risk of cancer.

I will definitely be getting her done, I know its better for their health! I dont think I will be getting a partner for her sadly though, I have a pretty full house with the boyfriend, four children, two cats and star, but if we do move to a bigger house, I would definitely get her a friend!

Back