• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Choking episode - now really quiet UD back from vet

weedug

Mama Doe
My almost 7 year old neutered buck, Mr Bubble (Bubs), was fine yesterday morning. Excited as usual for his breakfast. He started eating as usual, and suddenly stopped about 2 pellets (SS) later. He was obviously distressed and his sides were pulled in. Then a lot of clear fluid/bubbles came from his mouth and nose. I could only think of holding him with his head down to try to get everything out.

Anyway, rushed him to emergency vet, who put him straight in oxygen tent and on drip. They said they could hear a lot of fluid in his lungs, and they wanted to x-ray to check his heart, but would give him time in the tent to calm down first as they thought he was too unwell for sedation.

Anyway, breathing got better itself, and they did conscious x-ray, which showed lungs clear and nothing else showed up. Lungs now sounded clear so they ruled out enlarged heart. Blood gasses were good. Assumed he had choked on a pellet.

Bubs has just been laying in his litter tray since he came home. When I phoned back they thought it was from the vetergesic he had been given. He was breathing fast, but would eat if I waved the greens in front of his face.

Today he is a bit brighter, but still laying in his tray. Breathing only got fast the one time he got out his tray. He has done 3 poops and no pees since he came home. When he eats the greens he is ok the first few nibbles, then stops, and seems to forget it's still in his mouth.

I'm waiting for my vet to open, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts? I'm terrified, he's my soul bun.

Last edited:
Very frightening for you, and Bubs, am glad he survived it all. :)

Okay, I have a personal experience of this with Poppy bun a few years back. I would say that from the pattern of sitting quietly and eating a few mouthfuls and dozing off is pretty much down to the vetergesic - it is very sedatory, but this was probably a good thing in respect of the trauma for Bubs. This will wear off in time so just keep doing as you are - tempting with tasty leaves/greens and give him time to rest in between. Keep encouraging him to eat.

Has he had some anti-inflammatories (metacam)? There will likely be inflammation in his upper airways after the episode. I would also suggest you talk to your vet about covering strong abx to prevent against aspiration pneumonia - a post-choking complication, even if only saliva has been aspirated into the lungs - there will be bacteria there that the lungs can not cope with, this is the biggest risk. After Poppy's choking she was given LA tetracycline - engymycin by injection as a course.

There is a possibility that there may still be a FB in the nose so you will need to watch closely for any more symptoms from the URI, but hopefully all is now clear. The only way to assess that at a later date would be with a scope up the nose under sedation/GA if things don't resolve. I assume your vet checked the back of his throat very carefully?

ETA good luck at the vets and hope he feels better soon x

So sorry Poppy and you had to go through the same. I know I was terrified!

The vet didn't check in Bub's mouth, as far as I know. He has some Septrin to take, but when I gave him it yesterday, he started making funny noises.

Would he still be affected by the vetergesic? It must be almost 24 hours ago that he got it.

Bubs will eat a few of his biscuit treats, but seems to panic a bit with them, and won't touch the pellets, even watered down.

I am still so worried about him.

Vet gave Bubs a good look over. Said lungs sounded OK. Had a good look in mouth, all OK. Gave him subcut fluids, and injections for his guts, and a metacam injection.

Since he has been home Bubs is still lying in his litter tray, but he has eaten quite a lot, plenty herbs, some grass and dandelion leaves and some strawberry leaves.

He has also had some pellets, handfed and not his usual ones as he won't touch them. Took a few and them pawed at his mouth. Don't know if they were caught or he was panicking. He has eaten some more leaves and grass since. He has managed some poos and a pee as well.

He is just so quiet. It isn't like him to just lie around. I don't know how much is because he is knackered from yesterday, or if there is something wrong?

Back