• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mild Wet Weather is still a dangerous time for bunnies.

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
The heatwave might be over however the weather is mild and damp and therefore provides great breeding conditions for parasites such as lice, mites and fleas as well as flies. So remember to keep checking your bunnies for signs of flystrike or parasitic infestation. Common parasites include red mites that look like wee red dots, crab mites that are white and look a bit like spiders and lice which are shaped like tiny cigars and are white/clear in colour. Xeno or Beaphar spot on bought online or from your vet will sort out these pesky beasties. If you have a microscope, USB microscope or very good camera you can use these tools to identify what type of parasite your pet has. However always check with your vet first. As for flystrike, if you are happy to use Beaphar or Rearguard than do so. Otherwise use natural deterrents such as lavender and citronella in the litter-tray. Sudocrem is also great for mucky bums and since its naturally lavender scented a thick spread should ward off any nasties. Remember wet but mild weather is still a dangerous time for your rabbit.

Good post. I always worried dreadfully about Spenser when he lived outside as he would never let me check his 'down below' area. Of course, flies can get inside, but it is not just such a worry.

Good post. I always worried dreadfully about Spenser when he lived outside as he would never let me check his 'down below' area. Of course, flies can get inside, but it is not just such a worry.

Fly paper indoors or outdoors works well. So do those electric bug zapper thingies.
Five of my buns live outdoors so we take extra precautions and put up fly netting too and I refrain from clearing out cobwebs and spiders. Although saying that Elidore still managed to pick up red mite when he tried to mount a visiting wood pigeon :roll: I was so glad I'd picked up spot on the week before as a just in case.

It pays to be prepared :thumb:

It worries me a lot as d'argo is so big and he hates me checking. i really struggle to get a good look underneath. falon is nearly bad. my arms and tummy are covered in massive claw marks permanently.

It worries me a lot as d'argo is so big and he hates me checking. i really struggle to get a good look underneath. falon is nearly bad. my arms and tummy are covered in massive claw marks permanently.

A lot of bunnies are like this. And they get more and more stressed with handling. Elidore is like that but he is thin and wriggly and much harder to hold onto and he has the sharpest claws. I always wear thick clothes if I absolutely have to pick him up. Most of the time I try and check them when they are lying down, once bun is relaxed and stretched out I lift up the tail and then the rear for a quick check. Other times I have to wrap them in a towel/blanket if more handling is required and I always have treats on hand.

Fly paper indoors or outdoors works well. So do those electric bug zapper thingies.
Five of my buns live outdoors so we take extra precautions and put up fly netting too and I refrain from clearing out cobwebs and spiders. Although saying that Elidore still managed to pick up red mite when he tried to mount a visiting wood pigeon :roll: I was so glad I'd picked up spot on the week before as a just in case.

It pays to be prepared :thumb:

Good grief ... what a bold lad he is! :shock: Perhaps he will think twice about making advances to any future avian guests.

He is fine to pick up just doesn't like me inspecting rear end! I use a towel and patience followed by treat!

Good post, has made me worried now as I don't really want to pick up my rescue bunny i got last week as I still need to gain trust with him, the last time I held him he wriggled out :(

Back