• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question

ellejo

Young Bun
is it possible for 2 brothers to live happily without been neurterd? they are nearly 9 months and are very friendly,happy together and dont spray.advice will be good. thankyou.

Afraid not, Hormones can and will kick in at some point.
If you have them both neutered before the hormones kick in it may work.
But im afraid you are looking at a disaster waiting to happen if not neutered soon:D

Well mostly not by now, if they really are definitely 2 males it's pretty amazing that they still get on - I would say though that it is highly unlikely that they will continue this way for ever. Are they both normally developed (I.e. have their testicles descended, are the buns the size expected), what do they live in?

The big problem is that they can turn really, really quickly and the trigger could be anything from one being a bit poorly, to something giving them a fright or even an unfamiliar or new smell or change in surroundings. Unneutered males when they fight will go straight for the testicles, rescues often see makes with very serious testicle injuries (I've seen one recently where the injury was so severe the bun had to be pts) and it can happen extremely quickly and without warning.

I just wouldn't risk it I'm afraid and would get them booked in to be neutered ASAP!

Well mostly not by now, if they really are definitely 2 males it's pretty amazing that they still get on - I would say though that it is highly unlikely that they will continue this way for ever. Are they both normally developed (I.e. have their testicles descended, are the buns the size expected), what do they live in?

The big problem is that they can turn really, really quickly and the trigger could be anything from one being a bit poorly, to something giving them a fright or even an unfamiliar or new smell or change in surroundings. Unneutered males when they fight will go straight for the testicles, rescues often see makes with very serious testicle injuries (I've seen one recently where the injury was so severe the bun had to be pts) and it can happen extremely quickly and without warning.

I just wouldn't risk it I'm afraid and would get them booked in to be neutered ASAP!

I agree with the above.

In my early experience of rabbit ownership I made a similar mistake.

Arfur my two year old neutered buck seemed to be living very happily with Echo an un-neutered three month old buck. They seemed to happy.

A couple of months down the line, I returned home having popped out for an hour. The scene in my conservatory was chaos. Blood everywhere and two frightened, exhausted bunnies lying in pools of blood.

Fortunately after a trip to the vets, both were discovered to just have minor injuries. Phew, but what a shock and an unpleasnat experience for us all.

I separated them, Echo was neutered and bonded with a special needs little doe, and Arfur remained a spoilt house rabbit.

A very steep learning curve for me.:oops::oops::oops:

is it possible for 2 brothers to live happily without been neurterd? they are nearly 9 months and are very friendly,happy together and dont spray.advice will be good. thankyou.

I wasn't in favour of getting my two netherland dwarf boys neutered, but it became impossible, they started mounting each other! I thought it was funny at first seeing them go round and round in circles, but it got far more serious, they had to be kept apart in their room at times. So I had to get them done... They live very happily together now. x

Ive just been to a rescue today and was looking at them and i was told that it wouldnt be necesary to get the neurterd.:shock: so if i did get them done would 2 males be ok together? they were in a 6 foot hutch at the rescue.iam geting confused now.:oops:

i have two brothers who got along great until hormones kicked in! both were neutered very soon after and have lived happily together ever since. they are exceptionally close and happy together. :love:

definitely get them neutered. :thumb:

Ive just been to a rescue today and was looking at them and i was told that it wouldnt be necesary to get the neurterd.:shock: so if i did get them done would 2 males be ok together? they were in a 6 foot hutch at the rescue.iam geting confused now.:oops:

I am amazed that a rescue gave you that advice.
As others have said, yes definitely need neutering.

would you consider going to another rescue?
this place sounds like all the other fake rescues, who dont nueter.
Get intouch with Jill at Honeybunnies i know she has some nethies xx

thanks everyone for replys.the rescue is just ran from her house she has rescue rabbits and her own .i travelled an hour and half to see them.they havent had vacs but said she will get them done.and yes when she said they didnt need neurtring as she thinks its down to the bunnies personalitiy if they can live happily together,they are 9 month now have had 2 homes and gone back to her twice as both familys circumstances changed so she said. one is underweight and the other ok.
are there such things as bad rescues? should i stay clear of this rescue??

I dont know about this one im sure others will help, but unfortunately there are 'rescues' who take the rabbits on for free and then sell them to people, but dont neuter or vaccinate.
So effectively youd be paying an adoption fee for a bunny who youd then be neutering and vaccinating yourself.

Where are you based maybe we can help you?
Honeybunnies rehomes Nationally, they have all their bunnies neutered and Vaccinated and they help you after the rehoming too! :D

Yes there are such things as bad rescues, and normally I would say steer clear, but it does sound as if there is perhaps more going on with these two bunnies than meets the eye and that potentially they need rescuing from the rescue - sad but it does happen occasionally. I just can't imagine what the future would hold for these two if they go to another home where the owner takes their word for it not to neuter.

Did you get to handle these bunnies when you went to see them? We're they definitely both boys? Could you see their testicles? Did their skin feel smooth without any lumps and bumps? The fact that one of them is underweight is a concern, has he seen a vet? It's possible that he has some kind of underlying problem which means that his hormones have not kicked in as normal and is hence dampening down any kind of territorial behaviour between the two for now.

If you feel able to take on these bunnies knowing that one of them might have an underlying problem (depending on what the weight issue is, maybe the vet check when being vaccinated will pick something up, or maybe actually the bun is fine) and knowing that they will need to be castrated ASAP, then it does sound as if they would be better off away from that particular rescue. On the other hand, if you're not sure whether you would be prepared for that, then I would walk away and find a reputable rescue which routinely nesters, vaccinates and checks the homes that the buns are going to.

Good luck x x

thanks everyone for replys.the rescue is just ran from her house she has rescue rabbits and her own .i travelled an hour and half to see them.they havent had vacs but said she will get them done.and yes when she said they didnt need neurtring as she thinks its down to the bunnies personalitiy if they can live happily together,they are 9 month now have had 2 homes and gone back to her twice as both familys circumstances changed so she said. one is underweight and the other ok.
are there such things as bad rescues? should i stay clear of this rescue??

I am afraid that it sounds like this person doesn't know an awful lot about rabbit behaviour as every healthy rabbit should be neutered for health reasons anyway regardless of fighting or mating issues. Neutering boys can prevent testicular cancer, but of course we know that it prevents other hormonal behavioiur such as spraying, territory issues (with humans and not just other rabbits). It also helps to calm bunnies, removing some destructive and frustrated behaviour. It's a no brainer and every rescue should be giving the same message. Even where rescues are not able to neuter due to cost etc, a good one will still give the message that you SHOULD neuter.

Sadly yes, I'd have to suggest you run a mile from this person. You can adopt from a number of rescues that rehome nationally and I'd go for one, like Honeybunnies where you know for a fact that the bunnies are neutered, vaccinated, fully healthchecked and are happy together.

I have to say that where a rescue doesn't actualy rehabilitate, vaccinate or neuter prior to rehoming I call that recycling, not rescuing.

Whereabouts are you and maybe we can send you to a good local rescue where you can visit.

Santa i held the rabbits but iam an absolute beginner i didnt know what to look for:oops:
she told me they would need to be wormed with.panacur for cats and dogs and do it every day for 28 days.is this right?

Santa i held the rabbits but iam an absolute beginner i didnt know what to look for:oops:
she told me they would need to be wormed with.panacur for cats and dogs and do it every day for 28 days.is this right?

NO that's not correct.

Panacur paste is made for each species and you must use the rabbit version. And it is not every 28 days but depending on your view, only when you see symptoms or if you wish to do it as a preventative (not my recommendation) then 4 times a year for 9 days. For a rabbit that is symptomatic, the treatment would be to give it for 28day or longer as directed by your vet. Your vet must be involved if you have seen symptoms in the rabbit in question, and the partner rabbit must be treated too.

my goodness i cant believe this.iam so pleased iam a member on here and its unreal i have been given all this wrong info> does this rescue need reporting??? iam gobsmacked.

my goodness i cant believe this.iam so pleased iam a member on here and its unreal i have been given all this wrong info> does this rescue need reporting??? iam gobsmacked.

Sadly you don't need to be licensed or anything to be a 'rescue'. You can simply call yourself one. Some people actually do mean well and take in waifs and strays from people and then get into a cycle of rehoming and taking in more. They think they are then rescuing. Some people do it for the pludits they receive or simply because they can make money from it by asking for adoption fees without actually incurring any costs other than providing hay/food. There are many good rescues out there so it's good to go on recommendation to find one that can be trusted to give the right advice.

Obviously we don't know if the people you have seen are really a rescue or not and it wouldn't be for us to comment without hands on experience. Most rescues are in fact only run from back gardens (mine included) so that in itself should be no guide as to whether a person is really a rescue.

But I would only go somewhere that puts in the work and works with you to find the most suitable bunnies for your situation. That means both choosing the right age/temperament/health for you and for your family situation.

Not all rabbits will suit every carer. Many bunnies I see would not work for novice owners.

If you e-mail me I can send you my guide to choosing a good rescue - Jill at Honeybunnies for example would be one I'd recommend based on what I suggest people look for.

Some of the things wouldn't be so important for those who are experienced carers and who can find theiir own way through the pitfalls of adoption via less than adequate rescues.

my e-mail is therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

Back