• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about grass

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi everyone i have read up about rabbits not allowed to eat freshly cut grass. The grass has been cut by lawnmower an hour ago and i was wondering does that mean they cannot go in thier run on the grass today? I know it sounds like a silly question but i was so confused by what i read i thought i best check.

I think it's just the grass cuttings they can't have.:wave:

Yeah that's what i thought too but was confused over if it meant the cuttings from the lawnmower (never ever give them this anyway) or the actual grass after being cut. Thanks at least i can go put them out without worrying now.

No problem them going on the lawn after a cut it's the lawn mowings you must not feed as the mower heats them and can start the fermenting process which would not be good for tummies. It is fine to go and scissor cut some grass for your buns or piggies though.

Oh just another thing i thought about. I've been wondering about this for a while. We have had quite a few garden birds in our garden this year and i was wondering if them being around a lot could be an issue with the rabbits. I read somewhere that they can carry viruses which rabbits can get like e.cuniculi and pasturella is this true?

Well technically everytime you allow your rabbit out your running the risk of them catching a disease or parasite.

It's just deciding if allowing your rabbit to have a more natural life and enjoy running around and eating grass and weeds (if they are lucky) is worth the risk

Oh just another thing i thought about. I've been wondering about this for a while. We have had quite a few garden birds in our garden this year and i was wondering if them being around a lot could be an issue with the rabbits. I read somewhere that they can carry viruses which rabbits can get like e.cuniculi and pasturella is this true?

It is just the grass cuttings that you can not feed as it starts fermenting, which isn't good for their digestion. If the lawnmover collects the grass cuttings, then the rabbits can go on the lawn. If however you leave the cuttings on the lawn, then collect these up before putting the rabbits on the lawn.

As regards to birds, I wouldn't put rabbits on ground where birds had fed from or where their faeces are. Same with dog or cat poo.

It is just the grass cuttings that you can not feed as it starts fermenting, which isn't good for their digestion. If the lawnmover collects the grass cuttings, then the rabbits can go on the lawn. If however you leave the cuttings on the lawn, then collect these up before putting the rabbits on the lawn.

As regards to birds, I wouldn't put rabbits on ground where birds had fed from or where their faeces are. Same with dog or cat poo.

No problem with grass being left our lawnmower collects it. I checked anyway and there was nothing left.

About the birds, yeah they have pooped on the patio a couple of times and it has been annoying as we cannot move the run much on the patio we've got so i have had to wash the poop up before putting the rabbits out. Only thing is if the birds poop on the grass it could be more difficult to see. There has just been a lot more garden birds hanging around in our garden this year so i was worrying about them bringing viruses.

No problem them going on the lawn after a cut it's the lawn mowings you must not feed as the mower heats them and can start the fermenting process which would not be good for tummies. It is fine to go and scissor cut some grass for your buns or piggies though.

My mower is a manual one, the blades rotate as you push it along so there's no heat, not dissimilar to if I went and cut it with scissors. Does that mean it's safe? :?

My mower is a manual one, the blades rotate as you push it along so there's no heat, not dissimilar to if I went and cut it with scissors. Does that mean it's safe? :?

Sorry hun, no. It's the short lengths and maceration by the blades that causes the grass to heat (the cutting/crushing of the stems causes the grass to release sugars and start the fermentation process).The action of a cylinder mower also bruises the grass too much.
If it has been cut with any kind of lawnmower it should not be fed.

I used to collect them up and squish them into black bags to make silage for my sheep.

Back