• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone's bun experienced this - very watery stool mixed in with normal ones!

sarahj4644

Young Bun
Hi my rabbit has passed a couple of very watery ( liquid) stools (not the mushy smelly ones, literally brown water) mixed in with the normal round hard ones. One last night and another this morning. He is happy, active, eating really well, drinking well and is showing no other sigh of illness. He had myxi jab in Thursday. Can this cause a reaction? Thank you.

True watery diarrhoea is a medical emergency in rabbits as there will be substantial dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and likely an infective origin. You should therefore seek veterinary attention asap.

Malformed caecotrophs in a bun with dysbiosis commonly appear with normal waste droppings and can be very liquid if bun has a very unbalanced caecum. But they will always be thick and dark, even if runny.

Is it possible you have mistaken brown urine for diarrhoea? If not, then you need to take bun in immediately to see your vet :wave:

Thank you. Came home tonight and same again. Brown liquid that doesn't smell of wee or poo. Its splattered up the bunny room wall too Have changed litter tray and he's done some great poos and normal wees. The only other change is that when he went for mixi jab, he had a sore between his shoulders. Vet prescribed an antibiotic corticosteroid cream which I have been putting on his sore. Perhaps that's what has upset him. It's so odd as he is so well and running around like a nutter and eating plenty of hay. I will see how he is tomorrow. I've stopped using the cream just in case. Thank u for your reply.

Last edited:
If you are unsure, take a sample to your vet along with your bunny.

One of mine sometimes gets a mix of softer poop with solid but not "liquid".

I know this might be a stupid question but are you sure he isn't spraying urine? Is he neutered?

I would take him to the vets if you are sure it is his poo as I would worry that he has something going on internally.

Is it possible that he could have licked the cream? Some antibiotics can seriously upset the guts if ingested by rabbits. Also steroids can cause immunosuppression.
I think it is sensible to stop the cream (as you have) and discuss this with your vet. True diarrhoea should always be regarded as an emergency in rabbits.
Good luck, I hope your bunny is ok xx

New development ... It must have been dark brown urine as now he's just passed some blood in his litter tray. He's still eating, drinking and has been binkying a minute ago so I'm sure he's not in pain. Going to take him to vets first thing in the morning. Hope it's nothing serious :(

Hope he's ok. Mine pass red urine that can look like blood. You're doing the best thing tho taking him to the vet. Keep us updated :wave:

Back