• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewie's not well :(

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Poor little Chewie didn't want his food this morning and was just sat looking uncomfortable :( Smudge has had this and it does look like the same thing (a bit of gas).

He doesn't appear quite as bad as Smudge though, as he took 1 or 2 nuggets when the bowl was put right infront of him... and as I came out here to my laptop I saw him hop past me :shock: Smudge pretty much sat feeling sorry for herself when she had this, but Chewie seems more mobile. He still looks a bit uncomfortable though :(

My bf is trying to get some Critical Care in him but it's proving difficult :roll: We will also try giving him some simenthicone I think, and then the vet opens at 10.30am if he's not better.

Why do buns do this :( Apparently he's just hiccuped aswell, which he doesn't usually do.

EDIT: I just put a box of hay infront of him and he's attacking the box :roll: You wouldn't know he was feeling poorly!

Last edited:
I really would not syringe feed him unless you are 100% certain that there is no obstruction in his guts. Until you get him to the Vet I would advise you only give water by mouth and one dose of Simethicone.

Encourage him to move about but do not allow him to ingest cardboard

Try to ascertain if he has had any fecal output overnight, this is very important information for the Vet.

I hope he feels better soon.

Hiya, thanks for the advice :) Didn't realise that you shouldn't syringe feed them in these cases :shock: It makes sense though, if he's blocked up you don't want to block it even more. hHe didn't take much of the critical care anyway, but did take some of the simethicone. He's just being a fiesty little ****** at the moment, and is cleaning himself now because of the stress. Still hiccuping too, poor little lad :( (this makes me think it is gas)

Actually something you said just made me realise something... Smudge first had this in Feb, then a smaller bout of it in April, and now Chewie in June. We've had Smudge since Oct 2010 and Chewie since March 2011, so I was thinking "why now all of a sudden?" The only thing I can think of that is different is the amount of cardboard boxes we've left around since Christmas for them to play in :shock: So many times I have to take cardboard out of Smudge's mouth and stop her eating it. I think we'll have to take the boxes away from now on.

Last edited:
Thanks Charlotte.

We took him to the vet and he checked him all over. He felt some poos sat there but nothing too bad. He does have slight spurs on his teeth (which we knew about), but the vet didn't think these were too bad at the moment.

He gave him some painkillers, gut stimulants and anti-biotics, and said just see how he is, and bring him back in the morning if not better.

Since we got back he has actually been eating hay and hopped about a bit! And then just sleeping around which he'd normally do anyway. We are on "poo watch" at the mo though, as I don't think he's done any yet. But he seems happier.

Why buns, why!!! Why are they such confusing little animals?!

Thank you :) He has done some poos! They were a bit small and quite light coloured, which I found odd. When Smudge had this her poos came out dark. I wonder if he's not drinking enough??

He does seem his normal little self now though.

Back