• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone recomend some good nail clippers

kat031181

Alpha Buck
I take Smudge to have his nails clipped every 6 weeks at the vets its only cheap about £5 but after watching im feeling confidient after the nurses demo's that i can identify the vein and where not to clip past, hes a good bunrab so holding him isnt a prob but just searching for clippers and there are load some very cheap other the opposite any recomendations would be appreciated thanks kate x

:wave: I have tried the scissor type and found them difficult to use (you can have mine if you want and I can find them) and tried a large pair of clip type nail clippers and have more success with them.

I've been doing it with the scissor type ones, did take some getting used to (I tend to be a chicken and wrap them up so they cant wiggle and make me cute it to short or scratch me)

They sell them at pretty much any pet store, I got mine from pets at home

i asked the vet recently because ours are rubbish and the ones he uses always look really good. he said get dog clippers for rabbits. i haven't got round to buying any yet but will be trying those. the cheaper ones, and ones made for bunnies usually snag the nail and sometimes half cut it or crumble it i find.

Oh thank you thats a great tip, when i asked at our vets the nurses just said whatever u find comfortable but when i was looking at the pet shop they are all in plastic packaging so cant hold them but dog clips is a great idea thank u again x

I'll see if I can find them, I did buy them with a grooming kit and they are the same as you can buy at chemist. Just remind me if I forget :oops:

i know lots of people have already answered

i know lots of people have already answered but i got mine from my vets i don't know whether your vets sell them but mine were £2.50 as they were on a special deal and they were the same kind the vets used their normally around £6-£7 so check with your vets if you want to buy a pair (if you haven't already)

i know lots of people have already answered but i got mine from my vets i don't know whether your vets sell them but mine were £2.50 as they were on a special deal and they were the same kind the vets used their normally around £6-£7 so check with your vets if you want to buy a pair (if you haven't already)

Thanks il give them a ring i just asked what they used but didnt ask if they sold them

Back