• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Concerned For My Rabbit Spay

Romy

Young Bun
Hi Chica was spayed on Thursday morning and didn't eat or drink after the op.

Vet told me to bring her in on Friday and gave her a shot of metoclopramide and some to take away.

Problem is Chica won't let me syringe feed her so I cant give her the gut stimulant or fibreplex and isn't really eating or drinking. I put her pain med on raisins which she eats but she hasn't pooped much today and I'm worried.

Any advice is appreciated

How have you tried syringe feeding her? If she is really wriggly wrapping them in a warm towel can help. Just keep trying to tempt her with things but you need to get some food into her if she hasn't eaten. If you can't get anything in to her I'd get back to the vets ASAP and get them to syringe feed her. If you explain you can't do it they should help you. If she isn't drinking either she will probably also need fluids which they can inject.

Thanks for the replies. Tried syringe feeding her but she throws her head back and kicks, might try the towel.

She has ate about 4 pellets today and a tiny bit of hay but only if I hand it straight to her mouth.

Just gave her the gut stimulant and fibreplex on a raisin which she ate but feel its not enough.

Looks like I need to call the emergency vet

I think females go through a rougher time when neutered.

If she isn't eating much then she probably won't poop much. Is she urinating as normal. I've always been told to tempt them to eat by offering carrot tops. Lady I know swears by it for does after a spay. But if you know she's not right, as in her guts have slowed down, then obviously this won't work.

I had my 2 done last week. One bounced back the next day. The other took alot longer. Have you tried temping her with other foods? I gave mine carrot tops (which were the winner) basil, parsley, spring greens etc. Both rabbits refused pellets and hay for the first couple of days but would eat the fresh stuff. I had to really tease them with it, poking them around the mouth with it until they got annoyed and bit it, then started eating. Hope you get it sorted and your bun is better soon.

How is she this morning? If she is still not eating/pooing then she needs to see a vet for more pain relief AND very importantly some sub-cut fluids.

Hi everyone I called the emergency vet on Saturday and as I was speaking to her, Chica started eating some hay and pellets!

They told me if she still wasnt pooping to bring her in on Sunday. I'm glad to say she did a big pile of poop on Saturday night and this morning she had trashed her cage so think that's her back to normal :)

Had me worried as I know it's a big op for rabbits but glad that she seems better. She is also drinking out of her water bowl

Recipe may help

Hi,
You could try this recipe since its east to syringe feed. My rabbit Mozart had the same problem after being neutered. He wouldn't eat or drink at all. But then i tried this and held the syringe just above his nose/mouth area and squirted slowly. So the liquid dropped out and he had to eat it since it was on his mouth. Then he started to like it and i made him drink t like he was drinking from a tap. So just hold a hand underneath and let the rabbit lick from the syringe. Does this make sense? Just squirt it onto their mouth slowly and not into their mouth.

- 1 tablespoon of their pellets
- 2 tablespoons of warm drinking water
- 1 and a half tablespoons of hay (the powdery particles at the bottom of the bags are best)

Mix around and feed.

Female Rabbits: Rabbit Spay

I am so glad to hear your girl bun on the way to recovery. I had my two done earlier in the year as thought it the best thing in the long term. I was so shocked when they returned home. One returned to normal almost immediately but the other was in a bad way. I went through just what you described above and was sick with worry. I could not get enough of the fibre paste down her in a syringe and was at my wits end. In the end, the thing that worked was mashed banana. A tiny piece and then more. Once some food down, the rest followed. So if there is anyone else out there in this position, banana is worth a go. My bun went on to make a full recovery and I am sure the spay was good to do in the long term but it is worth bearing in mind how big an op it is and be prepared!

Back