• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My 2 1/2 month old dutch...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
female is getting rather large in the midsection. At first I thought she was just fat from being fed all the greens we've been giving the rabbits, but it's not soft fat like the others. Her belly is firm but not rigid. I'm kinda afraid she's pregnant. I've got her on watch inside the building with nesting materials just in case. Is there any way to make sure she's pregnant without a vet trip or just wait and see method?

And nobody yell at me on this post please. She got out and I don't know if she got bred by a wildie or our buck when she got in with him.

Two and a half months would be exceptionally likely- she would have had t have gotten pregnant at one and a half months to be at that stage now, which is near on impossible. I would be FAR more concerned about some sort of gut issue, to be honest.

Two and a half months would be exceptionally likely- she would have had t have gotten pregnant at one and a half months to be at that stage now, which is near on impossible. I would be FAR more concerned about some sort of gut issue, to be honest.

She's eating and pooing just fine though. Drinking water and everything. She acts normal, she's just getting bigger around the midsection. Could it be I'm over reacting to her just getting fat?

I think she needs a vet check. Her gut could potentially still be slow, even if she is pooing. What do her poos look like? What is her diet (as specific as possible)? Is she eating all her caecotrophs?

I think she needs a vet check. Her gut could potentially still be slow, even if she is pooing. What do her poos look like? What is her diet (as specific as possible)? Is she eating all her caecotrophs?

We give her weeds from the garden, veggie scraps, pellets and some hay. What is caecotrophs? They look normal, just like all the other rabbit's poos.

We give her weeds from the garden, veggie scraps, pellets and some hay. What is caecotrophs? They look normal, just like all the other rabbit's poos.

'Some hay' makes me think that maybe she needs more hay given that her diet should be 80-90% of hay or grass. It might be that a diet adjustment would be beneficial.

there is a sticky at the top of this forum about taking on babies and accidental litters and that might be worth a read.

Caecotrophs are the soft poos they should be eating but many babies leave theirs, for a variety of reasons.

'Some hay' makes me think that maybe she needs more hay given that her diet should be 80-90% of hay or grass. It might be that a diet adjustment would be beneficial.

there is a sticky at the top of this forum about taking on babies and accidental litters and that might be worth a read.

Caecotrophs are the soft poos they should be eating but many babies leave theirs, for a variety of reasons.

She's being given at least that much hay and grass every day. Plus weeds and veggies. They love the sunflowers and radishes we give them.

I haven't noticed any soft poos around. Why do they need to eat them? Antibodies or something like that?

Back