• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth

TinaE

New Kit
I woke up this am and went to feed my baby lop eared and somehow she has hurt her top front teeth my daughter is so upset have no idea how this has happened overnight am waiting for vets to open to take her down very worried as she has not eaten this morning :-(

You're doing the right thing by getting her a vet this morning. She may eat if she has some pain relief, but also ask them to give you some critical care food (or equivalent) and you can syringe feed her if necessary. Let us know how you get on.

Will do we have vets at 9.50 it looks like she has banged them and they have come loose there is a bit on blood on her gums checked the cage over and cannot see how or where she would have done it

Good luck at the vets. Could she have jumped from somewhere? My bunny once broke his front teeth after falling from a height onto a stone floor. It is important that the vets make sure that the jaw bone has no fracture. Teeth will regrow provided the stem cells at the base have not been damaged, but they may need burring to allow them to grow back correctly and at the same rate to begin with after a tooth fracture. Do make sure your bunny gets some pain relief and after the stress keep an eye on dropping output and eating :wave:

So we are back from vets, scruff needs to go back at 12.15 to have her front top teeth taken out and the bottom ones filed. The vet said for a bun her age she is only about 3 months old her teeth shouldn't have grown so much and she will most prob have teeth problems for the rest of her life. They suggested going back to where we brought her 'pets at home' and talking to them and maybe getting a new one

So we are back from vets, scruff needs to go back at 12.15 to have her front top teeth taken out and the bottom ones filed. The vet said for a bun her age she is only about 3 months old her teeth shouldn't have grown so much and she will most prob have teeth problems for the rest of her life. They suggested going back to where we brought her 'pets at home' and talking to them and maybe getting a new one

:shock: I hope that won't be the case as much as you are entitled to do so. Sadly the breeders that often supply P@H do not pay much attention at all times to genetic predispositions - dental problems in rabbits being very common in pet shop buns. There is no guarantee at all you will get another rabbit without any problems i'm afraid.

Poor little girl, so much to go through so early on in life. Potentially you could approach P@H and ask them to contribute or pay towards her dental work because in a way they are liable for her health. She is kinda your responsibility now so I hope you will do the right thing and not abandon her. :cry:

Did they mean return her or get her a friend? If they meant return her then I think that is a horrific thing for a vet to say. It's an animal, not a faulty appliance. :shock:

How rabbit savvy is your vet? Teeth can be managed usually, although it requires ongoing veterinary care, and sometimes they will right themselves with the proper veterinary treatment.
Hope she is ok with the op.

I would complain to P@H and request compensation. They will offer you a replacement rabbit and you can refuse on the grounds you and your daughter are already attached to the rabbit. If nothing else you should get compensation for the cost of the first vet visit and treatment. If P@H had to do this for every sick rabbit they sold they would soon start being more careful about what breeders they used.
If you can't afford to take care of the long term health needs I would suggest you rehome yourself rather than giving back to P@H as they would very likely PTS :cry:

Please don't return her to P @ H - they will probably pts. Complain and ask for contribution towards her dental work.
Please let us know how you get on.

Scruff is Back home and doing well I will call p a h to complain
But scruff is here to stay my daughter is over the moon will post
pictures of her teeth :) thanks everyone for your advice. This is the
first time we have had rabbits and glad to have joined this group.

Rabbits do fine without front teeth although they need a little bit of extra attention, like having veg cut into smaller pieces. Did they just take the top teeth out? It seems strange because now the bottom teeth will have nothing to grind on and could overgrow. But I hope she's okay and starts to eat soon.

Scruff is Back home and doing well I will call p a h to complain
But scruff is here to stay my daughter is over the moon will post
pictures of her teeth :) thanks everyone for your advice. This is the
first time we have had rabbits and glad to have joined this group.

Good news! :thumb:

Back