• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matilda's problem is back :/ UD pt 4

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Matilda's messy back end is back again :( she had major incontinence trouble after giving birth to grayson (accidental litter of 1) and because I just thought it wasn't uncommon after rabbit birth she ended up with urine burns by the time she saw a vet:cry::cry: but that was in march 2011, and it cleared up over time, since then shes had statis 3 times,

shes on a 'plain' diet anyway as she gets really loose poos if she has even a mouthful more greens than her stomach can handle

but now has a messy bum again! its not poo, its urine, shes had this before, just before she goes into statis! shes drinking more than normal, but then again the weather is stuffy so could just be that...but shes still eating as normal! and with Matilda thats when you defo know statis is aproaching..when she dosen't scoff her food straight down,

But I have started giving them/her daily fenugreek crunchies, and her back end actually smells of fenugreek crunchies, I have no idea whether of not thats related but i've cut those out for her for now, even tho shes had them regularly before :/ and shes now back on her restricted diet or just hay and a small handful off pellets.

I did ring my vet but he said she could have this for life, due to the damage caused from Grayson, and that it might just flare up every now again IE if shes becoming ill (statis) etc

So shes had a bum bath today which as you can imagen she was thrilled with! shes now scowling at me from the opersite side of the room all puffed up from being towel dried.

Any advice, or tips if ur buns had the same, if not just some vibes! as shes normally so clean and obviously hates being dirty but can't help it
:(

Last edited:
She needs to be examined by a Vet. She may have a UTI which would require abx

The UTI may be secondary to bladder sludge, which would also require investigation and appropriate treatment.

The sooner she sees a Vet the better as without appropriate treatment the problem could get much worse resulting in kidney damage.

Just dealing with the urine scald, whilst obviously necessary, is only treating a symptom not the primary problem.

im gona ring the vets today and see what they suggest, as i bum washed her last night but over night and shes just as messy again

Last edited:
Vet reckons it's a very early urine infection, tils is on marbocyl 0.4mls in 100mls drinking water daily, he said its okay for grayson to drink to cos obviously they share bottle etc

and then shes got bio lapis sachets 1 per day sprinkled on food

:)

Vet reckons it's a very early urine infection, tils is on marbocyl 0.4mls in 100mls drinking water daily, he said its okay for grayson to drink to cos obviously they share bottle etc

and then shes got bio lapis sachets 1 per day sprinkled on food

:)

:?

I think I would prefer to administer the abx directly into Matilda via syringe as giving them in the water cant possibly guarantee the correct dosage. I would certainly not want another Rabbit to be having abx with no clinical reason to give them.

Personally I would ask the Vet about this as it is certainly not 'normal' advice.

I wouldn't want to be giving meds in water either, well probiotics would be the only thing I would give diluted in water.

I do think you need oral or injectible antibiotics to treat this. My Inca gets Injectible penicillan to treat UTI's.

On a side note you could also try some Protexin Pro Fibre pellets or similar to help bun with poop issues.

Also, going back to what Jane has said about needing to treat the cause the urine scald, ie possible infection - if the infection is caused by bladder sludge then the bladder sludge also needs addressing otherwise she will continue to get infections. This is one of the reasons why it's best for her to be examined by a vet rather than the symptoms described to them over the phone. When the vet's examining her he should be able to feel whether her bladder feels right, whether it feels tender etc. They can also do this with kidneys as they would be able to tell whether they feel enlarged, or if the rabbit fliches when they feel them, indicating pain. One of my rabbits has bladder sludge and the vet has to express his bladder every few weeks to get the sludgy sediment out, if she didn't then the build up of 'cement' in his bladder would lead to infections.

:?

I think I would prefer to administer the abx directly into Matilda via syringe as giving them in the water cant possibly guarantee the correct dosage. I would certainly not want another Rabbit to be having abx with no clinical reason to give them.

Personally I would ask the Vet about this as it is certainly not 'normal' advice.

What I did was put Matilda in her crate with the 0.4mls in 100mls of water, and I put grayson out of the cage, and tils is drinking alot atm so she soon drank all 100mls she didnt really take the bio lapis on her food, so I rolled it in some fruit pieces, might try it in porriage tomoz

doing it that way means grayson gets none of the medicine x

Back