• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much should I expect to pay for neutering & spaying?

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
We're going to ring round some local vets tomorrow but would just like to hear what the "norm" is... (obviously I know it's going to differ depending on location) :)

We've been told 4 months is the ideal age for neutering, too? The vet said spaying didn't really matter to start with... but I'd still like to get Buttons spayed as soon as she's old enough to be.

If your vet is not advising the spay then you need a new vet. 80-85% of unspayed does will develop uterine cancer before the age of 4 or 5, so there are huge health benefits to spaying, and if your vet doesnt know them then he/she doesnt know rabbits.

As for price, it really varies, I've seen people post figures of anywhere from £40 to £120. Some prices include a gut stimulant and metacam injection and metacam to take home, but some dont and so this is sometimes extra on top.

Age wise, it varies, males are usually done either as soon as the balls drop at about 12 weeks, or at 6 months. Females usually done at 4-5 months or some vets say 6 months.

If your vet is not advising the spay then you need a new vet. 80-85% of unspayed does will develop uterine cancer before the age of 4 or 5, so there are huge health benefits to spaying, and if your vet doesnt know them then he/she doesnt know rabbits.

As for price, it really varies, I've seen people post figures of anywhere from £40 to £120. Some prices include a gut stimulant and metacam injection and metacam to take home, but some dont and so this is sometimes extra on top.

Age wise, it varies, males are usually done either as soon as the balls drop at about 12 weeks, or at 6 months. Females usually done at 4-5 months or some vets say 6 months.

Thank you :) Yes, I did think it was odd as I'd read beforehand about uterine cancer being common. We are lucky to have a number of vets in our town so I'm going to ask a few.

Mine were £80 each. That included post spay check ups.

That was at the more expensive end of what I would expect to pay for a spay.

Neutering tends to be slightly cheaper.

I paid £80 each for my girls to be spayed and my vet wouldn't spay until they were 6 months old as they said anything under that is too young as they're not fully developed and aren't classed as adults until then either, anyway.

I think neutering a male was about £70, so slightly cheaper due to the operation not being so complex.

I've asked at my vets about prices as Smokey is also going to be spayed as soon as she's old enough. They charge £48 for neutering and £60 for a spay, haven't asked yet whether that includes any meds she might need afterwards.

mind charge me £88 for a frenchie to be spayed no aftercare but a checkup a week later
a castuation cost me £63 for a dwarf lop no afrtercare but a checkup a week later also
:D

I've found neutering ranges between £40 and £90 although I did have a couple of bucks done for £28.50 when the vets where doing a promotion on rabbit health and it was half price :thumb:

I agree with others, I found spaying prices to be about £80-100 (£145 each at a top referral vets!), and neuters to be about £60-70.

Do make sure that the price includes all the necessary medication, whether it includes some painkillers to take home, and whether it includes checkups.

Also, some questions I asked before taking mine in:

- How many spays/neuters on rabbits have you done?

- Should I starve my rabbit for x amount of hours before the operation? (The answer is NO. Bunnies lack the gag reflex and as such should be able to eat and drink up until the moment of surgery.)

- How long should I expect my rabbit to be in for after surgery? If you take your bunny in in the morning and they do the operation during the day, it should be fine to collect them in the evening providing they've recovered well and have been eating/pooping/weeing.

- Is the recovery room staffed overnight? A lot of vets don't have anyone there during the night. Lots of people think leaving their rabbit overnight is a surefire way to ensure bunny is okay again, but what a lot of people don't know is they may be alone from 6/7/8pm until 7/8/9am in the morning.

- How often will my bunny be checked during recovery? What will they provide bunny with to help it recover? Really you want it to be checked on as often as possible, and to have a warm, quiet, stress-free area to recover.

- Will the bunny be housed at any point in a room with dogs/cats? Both are prey animals and both can be loud. Bunny can see/hear/smell them, which will stress them. A stressed bunny doesn't handle an operation as well as a calmer one.

~

Female buns can be spayed as soon as they're sexually mature - so about 4 months. Lots of vets prefer to wait until 6 months because it's less risk. If there isn't any immediate need for a spay, waiting those 2 extra months could be a good idea depending on how much you trust your vet. Things can and do go wrong.

If at all you don't feel comfortable with what your vet is saying, seek another. There are plenty out there and there will always be someone who's more experienced :wave:

I know it was not my thread but thanks yaretzi for your post :)

I was going to ring my companion pets at our pets @ home soon to ask some questions but i didntk now what ot ask, I do now thanks :D

Rang two, one charges £100 for the boys and £120 for girls, includes post op checkup... and they said the boy can be done at 4 months, girl at 6. Another said both can't be neutered or spayed til they're 6 months because they're lion-lops?? I've never heard that before. But they charge £72 for girls and £61 for boys. Got one more vets to try... really hoped we could get Nibbles neutered early so I wouldn't have to separate them for long =(

Back