• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things to consider before getting a giant rabbit

how big the saddle should be?

What size wellies to buy her?

How many husbuns she can cope with?

*winks*

Are you going to go for it then Tanya? :D

Extra noms = extra money; size of the carrier and the extra weight of the bunny for vets trips; vets may charge you more for things (not sure about that, but an idea!); much bigger accommodation; things like runaround and cat flaps will be a bit small for them, if they can even get through; even less things will be suitable for a giant than a normal rabbit - i.e things like 'rabbit beds' and 'rabbit ramps' and 'rabbit shelters' are often way too small and more suited to a guinea pig! it's a lot more to buy dog/cat sized things!

Don't consider, just do it! :lol:
Says she who only has Flemish Giants available to her, no Contis here in NZ.
Seriously though it is just a space/weight thing really. So if you have room & strength do it!
And I find I need a helper with my big girl for any cares - nail clips etc because she is too big to manage on your own as it's the only time she is at all feisty with me.
I've had such good experiences with giant buns that I don't think I will have smaller buns again.

Large rabbit, large personality says Daffodil

dcbbda2c.jpg

A few more question please :)

What minimum size would you say for a giant conti x?

Does their big size generally cause more health problems?

They have a shorter, lifespan rescue told me 5-6 years but I've read alot only make it to 3 :( is that really true?

Are they nimble and good at jumping or does their size hinder them? The rabbit I am looking at is two years old and is already showing some signs of stiffness/arthritis in her back legs :(

Many thanks :wave:

:wave:D'Ago can jump over guinea pig run and springs up and down stairs over sofas etc. he is 1 and fully grown.

My bunny who sadly died was a dwarf lop and he thought he was a giant rabbit --LoppyLeoJames--MyBaby--R.I.P-- :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Loppyy.jpg

A few more question please :)

What minimum size would you say for a giant conti x?

Does their big size generally cause more health problems?

They have a shorter, lifespan rescue told me 5-6 years but I've read alot only make it to 3 :( is that really true?

Are they nimble and good at jumping or does their size hinder them? The rabbit I am looking at is two years old and is already showing some signs of stiffness/arthritis in her back legs :(

Many thanks :wave:

I think it depends what they are crossed with. I have a french lop cross here. She is a big girl (but not as big as a french lop), but she has the personality and acitivity levels of a tiny bunny. She does a lot of jumping, a lot of runs and binkying and her size only makes it easier for her to get to places she shouldn't.

I think it depends what they are crossed with. I have a french lop cross here. She is a big girl (but not as big as a french lop), but she has the personality and acitivity levels of a tiny bunny. She does a lot of jumping, a lot of runs and binkying and her size only makes it easier for her to get to places she shouldn't.

This is the girl I have been considering, I think she's pretty BIG she weighs 6.75kg

It would help if I added the link :oops::lol:

http://www.readingrabbits.org.uk/farore.html

Last edited:
Am assuming you've seen this but heres the link anyway -
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/GiantRabbitCareGuidelines.pdf
The lovely girl you are considering is a kg larger than my Flemish doe who I keep on the slim side as she has an arthritic spine.
She is 6ish yrs old so older for a big bun & except for her spine has kept fairly good health.
It seems spinal issues are more common in the giant buns.
But Ondine still manages Metacam aided binkies so I'd say its really like any bun - you manage health issues as & when they occur.
At least you can anticipate & watch out for things that giants are more prone to.
I think you should go & meet her! :D

Am assuming you've seen this but heres the link anyway -
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/GiantRabbitCareGuidelines.pdf
The lovely girl you are considering is a kg larger than my Flemish doe who I keep on the slim side as she has an arthritic spine.
She is 6ish yrs old so older for a big bun & except for her spine has kept fairly good health.
It seems spinal issues are more common in the giant buns.
But Ondine still manages Metacam aided binkies so I'd say its really like any bun - you manage health issues as & when they occur.
At least you can anticipate & watch out for things that giants are more prone to.
I think you should go & meet her! :D

Thank you that link was very useful :D

Back