• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in the rain?

Emmax15

Young Bun
This has Probably been done before but how are rabbits in the rain? HermiOne is in her run which is attached to a hutch so she can go inside to bed where her food is. The run is covered with an old curtain for warmth and wind break and then plastic over that as rain shelter. There Is less than a quarter of her run uncovered but she seems to not be fussed about the wet ground or being dripped on. She won't get snuffles or anything will she? She is only about 14 weeks old. I just don't like her beIng all day in her hutch.

Sorry for awful typing I am on my phone!

Hello

The rain is making me think about the same sort of thing. Wild rabbits do obv put up with rain and wet but I think with domestic rabbits, depends on what they are accustomed to. I was watching my rabbits and during the rain today, rather than sit in their hutch, they went underneath to the semi enclosed run bit and got in the snuggly cardboard box den we have put in there for them - it is just two cardboard boxes with an entrance cut out and loads of straw inside. They have been there for a couple of hours, rarely venturing out and have not been in the outdoor run at all - which we have mostly covered up with a plastic curtain but is still on wet concrete/grass.

So, I couldnt bear them being in the small box for ages, I got 2 old empty wooden wine cases out of the loft, took the side off one of them and attached them together to make a wooden den which will go at the other end of the semi enclosed run. It's so they have another cosy option.

If it's bothering you, you could do a makeshift additional cosy bit...

I don't like my rabbits out in the rain for too long. I asked the vet once about it and he said as long as they can go in and dry off it will be ok. I think a little bit of rain is good for their coat because they sometimes start to clean themsellves when wet but I prefer them in the dry really. Rabbits have weak immune systems so could pick up something if just sitting in dampness. So that's my opinion!

Mine are inside a 10ftx8ft shed...with a 6x2x2 hutch they hop in and out of....Ive left the stable door open to the shed though, for air and light with the security double meshed door in place to prevent predators from jumping in.

My two don't like the rain. Luckily when it rains I cover their outdoor run so they can still hop in and out of the run direct from their homes in the room attached to the garage.

my run is all covered to avoid my fluffy boys getting wet, but they still find a section where the rain is coming in at an angle:roll:

my run is all covered to avoid my fluffy boys getting wet, but they still find a section where the rain is coming in at an angle:roll:

:lol::lol::lol:

Mine have shed that they have access to all the time (whether free ranging or from run) They still choose to sit in rain/snow/freezing cold sometimes :roll:

mine are indoor buns but they all love to sit in it!!! lol so you can always find mine in the wet part of their runs , silly buns lol:D

Mine are never given the opportunity to get wet. I personally feel it's not beneficial for them and I also know I would worry hugely. so everything is heavily weather proofed.

I dont let mine out in the garden if its too wet because it gets all swampy and they get covered, but they will quite happily sit out in the rain/wet in their run.
I think its fine for them as long as they have the option to go somewhere nice and warm to dry off quickly.

Back