• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Response from P@H RE: Bad Bonding Advice

Cari

Warren Veteran
Many of you were very helpful with regards to little Stella who I saw in a P@H store. She had been there for 9 months and was spayed and the same size and age as my Stephen. I asked about bring Stephen in to gauge their reaction to each other and bonding them and was given very bad advice:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?340686-Told-Not-to-Bond-as-it-is-Too-Distressing

I emailed their customer services department and said:

I recently went to your store at _______. You have several prominent signs in the shop stating that rabbits should be sold in pairs and that they are sociable animals. In the rehoming section of your store there is a doe rabbit who has been there since last August. She is spayed and the same age and size as my neutered buck I have at home.

I asked a member of staff about the possibility of buying her and bringing her home to meet and be bonded with my rabbit, or bringing my rabbit into the store to meet her and see how they got on. I was told in no uncertain terms that you do not sell rabbits as 'companions' and that it would be better for the rabbit in the store, and my rabbit at home to leave them on their own. I was then told by your member of staff that he would ensure that no one sold me the doe, despite her having been there for over 9 months.

I am sure you are aware that rabbits can be very lonely when they are living by themselves and they are happier when living in pairs/groups, your care guide on rabbit ownership also states this. When I asked about the doe's temperament I was told that she would be fine with experienced owners and other animals such as cats and dogs, so why could I not take her home to be bonded with my neutered male? I feel that the member of staff didn't know very much about rabbits at all, considering that a partner could enrich his life, and that of a rabbit who needs rehoming and anyone experienced with rabbits is aware of this.

I would like you to clarify the position that your company holds and I would like to know why, when a rabbit who has been unable to be rehomed for such a long time, is offered a home with an experienced owner, access to indoor and outdoor space, time and attention and a partner to bond with, I was rejected and made to feel like a bad pet owner for suggesting bonding when, as I am sure you are aware, RWAF guidelines state that rabbits should not live alone.

Thank you.

I know it wasn't a brilliant email but I was not very happy about what had been said and it's the first time I have ever written to anyone, company or individual so I tried my best. Anyway.. I have had a reply this morning (after about 3 weeks)

I have been investigating your complaint with the store manager and the field pet manager and we do not have a policy that allows you to bring in your pets to try to mix with ours in store as you would not be able to gauge and accurate companionship in the store environment with all the noises and we do recommend to try to introduce in a neutral environment like in the garden away from both hutches. We would never recommend for a new rabbit to be put in with an existing rabbit straight away, they would need to be kept in separate cages next to each other and introduced over a short period.

I would like to assure you that Pets at Home is a responsible Pet retailer and like yourself we are very passionate about the Pets in our care. Most of our colleagues that come to work in our stores are very interested in animals and generally know a lot about pets and have pets themselves. We aim to ensure that we put pets before profit and all the pets in our stores are treated with the care and respect that they deserve.

All our colleagues undergo initial training within their first 12 weeks and they are only allowed to sell a pet once this training and their probationary period is completed. There is then an additional training book that they are obliged to complete, we also offer external training courses on pet care and aquatics that all colleagues are able to complete. We are always happy to welcome environmental health into our stores and do receive regular visits from them. As I have said previously we are passionate about our pets and try in every possible instance not to just meet the five freedoms of animal welfare, but to excel in them.

Our _______ store has a big focus on rabbit welfare and holds rabbit work shops for our customers and we do work closely with the RWAF.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any upset and inconvenience caused by this situation.

I don't really feel like they answered any of my questions.
:(

Ho hum.

True, at least I had a response, albeit one that didn't answer the question I originally raised.

Stephen is doing ok thank you, much better diet, more space and better poos, just trying to find a solution for his eye now as the vet is reluctant to irrigate his tear duct in case it causes scarring, as sometimes his eye appears to be fine and only some days is it weeping.

I really think they need to rethink their staff choices. Thats appaling that the poor girly will live alone because someone thought its a great idea to tell people its too stressful to bond. That reply was pathetic, it totally avoided answering anything and just says basically "nah we train our staff, wouldnt have said that" yeah, like the people that didnt know what sex the rats in my local branch were (they were adults, its pretty clear what sex they are!). I was told the female bun I got (reject, kept out the back, far too agressive) couldnt live with another bunny. She hasnt met herbie as I cant seem to stabilise his weight for neutering but they adore eachother through the mesh. She is a grouch but she isnt even agressive (typical grunty unspeyed girly, but loves cuddles). Im hopeful that she'll bond happily.

I have been investigating your complaint with the store manager and the field pet manager and we do not have a policy that allows you to bring in your pets to try to mix with ours in store as you would not be able to gauge and accurate companionship in the store environment with all the noises and we do recommend to try to introduce in a neutral environment like in the garden away from both hutches. We would never recommend for a new rabbit to be put in with an existing rabbit straight away, they would need to be kept in separate cages next to each other and introduced over a short period.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any upset and inconvenience caused by this situation.

Playing devils advocate here - not justifying them in any way ;) - but do you think they are trying to say that you misinterpreted what the staff member said/should have said?

I can understand them not wanting people to bring rabbits in to store (as well as the reasons they give, there could also be possible quarantine issues e.g. if a bunny has snuffles or other health problems).

It is almost as if they are trying to back track on what you were told, and saying that the keeping them separate advice only applies to the bonding process. :? (Although this is entirely dependant on the individual rabbit - I have had one bond work and one fail through keeping them alongside for a while first, but had 2 bonds work through putting them straight together).

They certainly seem to come across as trying/having to justify their role as a pet shop rather than addressing your particular query which isn't helpful. :lol:

I'm not sure what a solution to this "issue" could be. Whilst RWAF would rather advocate adoption first and foremost, if people do feel that they wish to acquire a bun through P@H or their adoption centres, should the RWAF be working with P@H to offer opportunities for bonding bunnies or returning unsuccessful bonds?

It will always end up being a difficult dilemma I should imagine. :?

Did you complain to the manager? I think that would've gotten a better response and it could be he's a new person and misheard what was told to him? That looks like a standard reply, missing the issue completely because they haven't got enough information from the store about this, or he says he didn't say what you said he says. I thought it was pretty rude of him to say he'll tell everyone not to sell to you as if you wanted to keep her in a 2 foot hutch with a guinea pig, if they told you she can't be bonded then that would've been different, but telling you the opposite of what their leaflets and RWF says is wrong. No wonder she's been there for 9 months.

You should've got her anyway and just said you'd keep them separate or talk to different staff about bonding and see if it's a store thing or just him.

I just wonder if he didn't want you to bond her in case it doesn't work out and you have to give her back, at least if she's homed singly then there's less chance of being returned.

cari.is he nearly ready to meet a wife?

Hi! I think he is almost ready, just need to sort this eye out and I think we need to settle into our new house a bit more, as we have a lot of things around that a new bun might find interesting, even if Stevie doesn't!

Playing devils advocate here - not justifying them in any way ;) - but do you think they are trying to say that you misinterpreted what the staff member said/should have said?

I can understand them not wanting people to bring rabbits in to store (as well as the reasons they give, there could also be possible quarantine issues e.g. if a bunny has snuffles or other health problems).

It is almost as if they are trying to back track on what you were told, and saying that the keeping them separate advice only applies to the bonding process. :? (Although this is entirely dependant on the individual rabbit - I have had one bond work and one fail through keeping them alongside for a while first, but had 2 bonds work through putting them straight together).

They certainly seem to come across as trying/having to justify their role as a pet shop rather than addressing your particular query which isn't helpful. :lol:

I'm not sure what a solution to this "issue" could be. Whilst RWAF would rather advocate adoption first and foremost, if people do feel that they wish to acquire a bun through P@H or their adoption centres, should the RWAF be working with P@H to offer opportunities for bonding bunnies or returning unsuccessful bonds?

It will always end up being a difficult dilemma I should imagine. :?

I defintely didn't misunderstand what the gentleman said as he specifically said that she should be left on her own and would not sell buns to bond as it was too distressing on both buns, saying it's better for them to be alone than bonded. When I went back, a different member of staff was completely happy for me to bring Stephen in to meet her so not quite sure what to make of it all, clearly not that worried about health issues as they said they'd set up a little area for them to meet up :? I don't know.

Did you complain to the manager? I think that would've gotten a better response and it could be he's a new person and misheard what was told to him? That looks like a standard reply, missing the issue completely because they haven't got enough information from the store about this, or he says he didn't say what you said he says. I thought it was pretty rude of him to say he'll tell everyone not to sell to you as if you wanted to keep her in a 2 foot hutch with a guinea pig, if they told you she can't be bonded then that would've been different, but telling you the opposite of what their leaflets and RWF says is wrong. No wonder she's been there for 9 months.

You should've got her anyway and just said you'd keep them separate or talk to different staff about bonding and see if it's a store thing or just him.

I just wonder if he didn't want you to bond her in case it doesn't work out and you have to give her back, at least if she's homed singly then there's less chance of being returned.

I didn't speak to the manager at the time, but have been back since and spoken to them, he said that it was bad bonding advice and would speak to the member of staff about it At least that's a good outcome so hopefully the staff member will give better bonding advice in future.

Back