• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cheap home grown tasty treats for rabbits

I was wondering what inexpensive seeds can you easily buy and grow in a plant pot on a windowsill or any free space which will grow into something that bunnies will love to eat

I guess the easiest are :

carrot seeds
broccoli

can rabbits eat corriander ?

what else ? any suggestions for fast growing plants ?

Yes they can & will eat coriander.
How about parsley?
Mint is easy to get as a free cutting & fairly easy to grow in pots, it like lots of water.

We're currently growing coriander and oregano from seed. We also bought some herb plants from the supermarket (the ones that are about a £1) parsley, rosemary, sage, basil, thyme, mint. They haven't tried them all yet but love the ones they have! This is a list of safe ones http://kanin.org/node/191

If you look on ebay/wilko or some veg sites you can get packets for 50p - £1 instead of the more expensive branded packs you see in some shops.

If you look on ebay/wilko or some veg sites you can get packets for 50p - £1 instead of the more expensive branded packs you see in some shops.

is there a difference in quality and taste ?

if it produces a better tasting crop, it might be worth the difference, especially as it is a one off cost if you can collect seeds from the adult plants for next season

I was so amazed when my coriander turned to seed and I ended up with more seeds than I had bought in the first year

Dandelion! My mum thinks I'm mad to have a pot of weeds on my bedroom windowsill, but Pickle loves dandelion! This time of year you can just get the seeds from a dandelion clock too, so you don't have to pay for them.

is there a difference in quality and taste ?

if it produces a better tasting crop, it might be worth the difference, especially as it is a one off cost if you can collect seeds from the adult plants for next season

I was so amazed when my coriander turned to seed and I ended up with more seeds than I had bought in the first year

Nope, exactly the same seeds, same varieties, just without the brand name. I've had no problem with germination/growth/taste. The online ones are usually shipped in little zip bags so you don't get the fancy package. Sometimes there are fewer seeds per packet - 500 carrots instead of a thousand :lol: but it means you can pick more different types/varieties and even if you get two packets it's still usually cheaper.

I've personally used:
www.alanromans.com
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Premier-Seeds-Direct
www.moreveg.co.uk

My poor dill seeds keep getting dug up by the local cats and then pooed on :roll: I've been doing a few experiments this year trying sowing direct intto the ground, direct into big pots, raising from seed. Rocket seems to do really well however I do it, parsleys doing well too. Coriander doing well in a pot. Dill is struggling every way I try it. Nothing germinated in pots apart from two tiny plants.

Nope, exactly the same seeds, same varieties, just without the brand name. I've had no problem with germination/growth/taste. The online ones are usually shipped in little zip bags so you don't get the fancy package. Sometimes there are fewer seeds per packet - 500 carrots instead of a thousand :lol: but it means you can pick more different types/varieties and even if you get two packets it's still usually cheaper.

I've personally used:
www.alanromans.com
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Premier-Seeds-Direct
www.moreveg.co.uk

I've used Premier and More Veg too. More for veg seeds than herbs though.

Moreveg can be a bit hit and miss, possibly due more to varieties than the quality of the seeds. Premier direct give you lots of seeds. I ordered carrot seeds from them and literally got thousands for my fiver.

I found basil germinated well, and doesn't seem to mind being kept on the window sill while you do it - doesn't get too leggy. I'm still using the seed for that from the free ones the BBC gave out year before last :lol: It's amazing how many seeds you get in some packets!

I found basil germinated well, and doesn't seem to mind being kept on the window sill while you do it - doesn't get too leggy. I'm still using the seed for that from the free ones the BBC gave out year before last :lol: It's amazing how many seeds you get in some packets!

Yeah my basil is doing pretty well. I didn't start any until about May though so its still small.

I'm going to fill some old herb pots mid autumn for winter. Basil indoors, the rest in the greenhouse. :)

Back