• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of art by Rich

Would love some opinions. Good and Bad. Rich has recently lost his job, and is trying to make it in the art/sculpture world (his passion). This is one of his sculptures made of wire.

2012-06-02165624.jpg

2012-06-02165209.jpg

Heronmontage9.jpg

Thank you for the lovely comments :D. The first sculpture that Rich did was of a Rabbit, but i wasn't to keen on it, Rich really likes it though:oops:

Photo1275.jpg

Photo1280.jpg

Absolutely wonderful. I love it.
How is it going to cost out his time, materials etc and price it to make a profit? I think that's the hardest thing with any craft, as it takes so much time to make something that is truly wonderful.

Those are the kind of things you see in Garden Centres, but Rich's are definately better quality.

If he could make a few different designs and maybe a few of each, he could possibly approach a local garden centre and see if they would stock and sell them for him? I know that loses some of the profit, but it would give an idea of how much people would like them, if they could see them available for sale?

They are BRILLIANT.

I really like the rabbits... or, if the "thighs" were a bit more developed, I think it looks like a hare. But anyway... I'd buy them. I'd probably be willing to pay £30-ish, depending on size and animal. But that's just what I'd pay - in the right place (a good craft fair, say) - he might well get more.

Will they rust in the rain or is it galvanised wire? Not that I think rust is a problem - it would add to the beauty of an animal like a hare or rabbit.

Those are the kind of things you see in Garden Centres, but Rich's are definately better quality.

If he could make a few different designs and maybe a few of each, he could possibly approach a local garden centre and see if they would stock and sell them for him? I know that loses some of the profit, but it would give an idea of how much people would like them, if they could see them available for sale?

They are BRILLIANT.

what about selling on ebay or something?

Thanks Guys your comments have given me hope. Hope that maybe Rich will be able to fulfil his dream and passion. All the Sculptures are made from Galvanised steel fence wire, chicken wire and aluminium sheet, but Rich treats the finished piece so it will last even longer if outside.

Marketing is the hardest thing, which is my role in making this happen (i must say i am totally overwhelmed by this). I am not great on a computer. About two years ago i managed to do a website using Weebly, its not great and the stress was immense . We still have it and i need to update (well really start it again).

I have no idea how much to sell these for, Rich put the rabbit/hare (i agree i think hare) on esty but he didn't sell.

I do like the idea of seeing if a garden centre would be interested...we do have a smallish family run one by us. Would i need to have some kind of contract with them, im thinking if something got stolen ect?.

Thank you again for your kind words they really have cheered me up and Colin the Kiwi says thanks to

IMG00007-20101122-2107.jpg

Photo1422.jpg

Wow, they're really good! He's very talented! The rabbit scares the :censored: out of me though! :oops::lol: Hope you can find somewhere to sell them. Good luck xx

Back