• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homecheck?

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
When a rescue comes to do a homecheck, what generally happens?? I am hopefully gonna adopt a bunny from a rescue and have them bonded with Patchies. But I know need a homecheck. So I was just curious really. Sorry if it's a stupid question, I am full of them today. :oops:.

Generally size of housing, and that its the right enviroment for the bunny you have picked. its more so they can help you pick the right bun for you.
Im hoping to adopt Big Brian from Fat fluffs and all going well they agree the space i can provide is acceptable, if not they will help me decide on one of the more better suited boys. of course you have to factor in which bun your bun likes too:D

Not a stupid question at all!

I do homechecks. I would imagine each rescue might have slightly different ways of doing things, but I'm sure there will be some general similarities. This is how our homechecks generally happen:

We try to make sure that we arrange a time to visit when the whole family/household will be around, as this means we get to talk to and meet everyone who will be part of the bunny's new life.

The sorts of things we'd ask about would be:

- (obviously) can we see the accommodation where the bunny would live if adopted. I would usually measure the accommodation just for my notes, even if it's obviously a good size. This is just so I can refer back to it afterwards.

- I'd be checking how secure the accommodation was, especially so if it is outside.

- I'd be making sure that the accommodation met our requirements in general. If there is a problem, I'd talk to the adopter about how to improve it so that when I visited again it would be right.

- I'd have a chat with the potential adopter about buns, and find out which vet they use or are planning on using. This isn't a test, but just to gauge how experienced they might be with buns, or how enthusiastic they are to learn more.

- I'd want to meet any other household pets as well as the bunnies. This is to see whether there are any animals who might be a threat to the bunny if the set up isn't quite right, but also just to see that the other pets are well looked after and loved :)

- I'd talk to the potential adopter about what they do for holiday care for any existing rabbits, or what they plan to do. If they aren't sure, then I'd be sure to recommend some local boarding places to them.

- I'd be generally trying to get a feel for whether this would be the right home for the bunny that is hoping to be adopted.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head, but I will add more if they come to me! I think the most important thing is that the homechecker is just making sure that it is the right home for the right bunny. It's not a test, and nothing to be worried about :D

Last edited:
Hi

As someone who's had a homecheck recently (ie been on the receiving end), I would agree with all the above and also add that the homechecker looked at our equipment - they had previously given us a checklist of things to do/buy and we had to get these as a minimum - it included the obvious (and bearing in mind the number and breed of rabbit where applicable) - feeding bowl, drinking bottle, hay, straw, wood shavings, particular type of pellets, litter tray, stimulant toys, a going home carrier, cleaning equipment eg dustpan and brush and suitable disinfectant.

The checker also checked our garden was rabbit proof even though we had a run attached to hutch as it's inenvitable they will sometimes be let out or even escape. And if you have an indoor bun, guess they would check wires were tucked away etc etc.

hope this helps!

I've just recently had my homecheck with Honeybunnies and it's nowhere near as scary as you think it will be! :)

I was asked about Stephen's diet, his health and general wellbeing and was given really helpful advice (he was having too many veggies and had not managed to swap him over to pellets as he'd refused to eat the last lot) to point me in the right direction.
We discussed veterinary care, what I was doing for current health conditions and vaccinations.
I was asked about the size of his housing, whether or not he free ranged (Stephen is an indoor bunny too and has complete access to the downstairs of the house) and again was given some good advice (not all buns are as good with paper and wires, as Stephen isn't interested in them at all) about making sure the house was completely bunny proofed.
We discussed the bonding process and neutralising the area where Stephen had been for when he returned with his lady friend.

That was about it! It was more a lovely, friendly chat about bunnies than a scary home check! :)

Back