• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another P@H genius idea....NOT!

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Finally got around to emailing my complaint today as thus:

Dear Pets at Home,

I am writing to you following an uncomfortable experience in my local Pets at Home (Southampton) store over this recent Bank Holiday wknd on Sunday June 3rd. My husband and I had popped in to your store in the afternoon to purchase some new fish and were greeted at the cash desks by the door with the sight of a large but adolescent giant breed rabbit on a harness under the care of a member of staff. As we entered the store we were approached with smiles from your staff member and a look of fear from the rabbit who was on the lead on the floor in what appeared to be a marketing strategy to welcome customers and encourage them to come over and pet the animal.

As rabbit owners ourselves and highly involved in the rabbit rescue fraternity this made us both extremely uncomfortable due to the inappropriate nature of the situation. I am sure you are aware that rabbits are a prey species and therefore easily stressed in new situations, especially on a noisy, busy shop floor where their natural predators (dogs) were being walked into store on the lead at the same time. I observed the rabbit from a distance and noticed that it was both panting quickly (most likely due to stress) and had a signifcant portion of the third eyelid visible in both eyes. This in particular is a very clear sign of distress in any rabbit. The member of staff handling the lead seemed completely oblivious to the rabbit's state and continued to encourage customers over to pet the animal. I am sure you are aware as a pet store that aims to promote good rabbit husbandry and a positive relationship with the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund that this is a completely inappropiate situation in which to put your pets for sale. Rabbits are extremely sensitive to stress in terms of raised cortisol levels in the blood that then inhibit gut function and cause caecal upset at the very least. Particularly in a baby rabbit who has already undergone substantial stress simply by being transported to, and housed in, a pet store.

Because of our concerns I questioned the member of staff who was serving us (fish sale) as to whether or not this rabbit was the staff's own pet or one of your pets for sale. He confirmed it was one of the pets for sale. I then asked him why the bunny was out on the shop floor on a harness and for what purpose? He commented that Head Office require their store to do promotions and send in photographs to prove that they are following this marketing and promotion strategy. I asked him if getting one of the rabbits out was Head Office's idea or the stores idea? He confirmed it was their idea - that of the store.

I would like to know if you were aware of this particular promotion and support it as Head Office? And whether or not you feel it is approriate to handle and display one of your pets for sale, especially a prey species and a rabbit in this manner simply to promote sales? And what sort of message you think this is sending out to potential rabbit owners/customers about a rabbit's needs and welfare? I would be very grateful if you could address these specific questions.

My husband and I had actually gone elsewhere to purchase our fish originally but left empty handed after I was shocked at the level of care of the rabbits in another local garden centre/aquarium centre. We specifically chose Pets at Home to purchase our fish because in our opinion you are at the forefront of pet stores and although you have had some rather questionable ideas and trials as of late, you do seem to have the best intentions compared to other pet shops. However, we were extremely disappointed with the situation we observed that day and are quickly losing faith in your store and policies.

On a final note I would just like to draw your attention to the use of a harness on a rabbit. For many reasons this is also considered inappropriate. Being a flighty prey species rabbits can spook at any time due to sudden movement/smell/sound - they can become entwined in the lead and do themselves injury. This is not an appropriate way to restrain a rabbit, and certainly not in a stressful environment as the shop floor.

I woud be extremely grateful for a response from my email.

Many thanks for your time,

You get the gist! :roll:

My husband and I makes us sound like the Queen and Prince Philip! :lol::oops:

ETA yes I know about the typos and questionable grammar.... in a hurry before the baby wakes up! ;)

:shock: Oh dear!

I went in yesterday afternoon, bunny wasn't out then!

Good! I had a little word :D I could see my husband visibly shrink into his body when I began to politely ask questions! Apparently I was unusually tactful.... he said he could see the poor bloke see it coming when I asked if there was any particular reason the rabbit was out on the shop floor... !

Nicely written. :thumb:
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when you took the clerk to task! ;)

Good letter and well put-together. Hope you get a good response and the numpties don't do it again.

I hope you get a response. When I emailed them regarding being given poor rabbit information they completely ignored me. Well worded email :)

I used to live on Winchester road so right near this! My friend who loves animals once applied for a job there but didn't get it. Shame as she would definitely have prevented this happening!

I'm going to the gym after work so I may pop in again and have a snoop :lol: Looking at fluffy bunnies is my reward for working hard :love: :lol:

Poor thing, as if being on a shop floor isn't stressful enough, the rabbits aren't going to come from the breeding factory used to a harness and dogs are wondering around the shop :shock:

Poor bunny, how stressful :(

I had to smile at your description of Mr PL shrinking into his body though! I think my OH would have just gone home and left me to it!

I'm still trying to catch up with the other P@H thread- only started reading it yesterday as it all started when I was off forum. Only up to page 64 so far...xx

Poor thing, as if being on a shop floor isn't stressful enough, the rabbits aren't going to come from the breeding factory used to a harness and dogs are wondering around the shop :shock:

This. I wanted to simplify the email so stuck to the inappropriateness of restraint, but I do appreciate (although not necessarily agree) that the use of a harness in experienced hands with a rabbit you know well is not so inappropriate ;):wave:

Lilbun - happy reading! :lol: The only time Mr PL has ever abandoned me was when I managed to empty an entire container of jelly beans all over a supermarket shop floor :oops::oops::oops:

I love going to see the buns at P@H but when we went to pick up some bits for the buns yesterday I was appalled at the state of some of them... they were barely moving too. It's SO sad. I wish I could take them all home with me :(

We actually saw some for adoption too, they can't have been more than a couple of months old - really small.

Back