• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just wondering

ellejo

Young Bun
Does everyone on here have rescue buns? what is your story what made you rescue over buying off a good ethical breeder? iam just been very nosey.:wave:

All three rabbits I have had are rescues. I could not justify buying a rabbit from anywhere when as many as 30,000 are looking for homes and some of them may be put to sleep due to lack of a home.

Also I've not actually seen evidence that an ethical breeder exists. If there was someone who keeps their rabbits in large accomodation, allows them free range time, doesn't offload their old stock, doesn't overbreed an animal, breeds for health over appearance and takes responsibility for all the animals they breed then I'd buy from them if the rescue situation weren't as dire as it is currently.

rabbit rescues are too far away from me so i got Ben and Timmy from someone on craigslist who were giving them away and Jack was given to my parents by a pet shop for free because someone dumped him on their doorstep and it was against their policy to sell him so they were trying to find him a good home.

My past rabbits were all bought from pet shops, a breeder and in Harry and Chloe's case, the mall, by my parents for my siblings and I when we were younger.

I wouldn't be against buying from a good breeder since rabbit rescues are far away so I can only get buns from breeders, free ads and maybe the humane society.

I got Zoidberg before I found RU... he was from an unneutered/unspayed pair, who had a litter and I wanted a pet, so chose a rabbit and got him :D... he was the lucky one that I took as I think the rest have all died now :cry: even the parents have gone... :cry:

Mary was from a rescue, I found her through here, I decided to get Zoid a girlfriend as my wife was pregnant and I wouldnt be able to devote 100% of my time to him :lol:

I personally would not get a rabbit from a breeder, as there are so many in rescues.

I rescued my three off Gumtree, as I was worried about what would happen to them otherwise. The family we got them from were very nice and I'm sure they would have tried to make sure the 'girls' went to a decent home, but I guess you can never really tell whether they're going to be someone's family pets or snake food :cry:

Anyway, my three are fab :thumb::thumb::thumb: We were really lucky, as they could have had all kinds of ailments. If we were going to get any more, I think we'd go to a rescue, as at least we'd know more about them and they'd be vaccinated and neutered.

Not sure breeding could be classed as ethical as there is an overabundance of rabbits needing homes, breeding is just adding to the problem. I have 7 rescue rabbits of all ages/sizes/breeds. I have never wanted a 'cute' baby rabbit I am quite happy with a neutered rabbit whose personality is already known and that has been vet checked so hopefully you know about any 'problems' the bun may have.

Because it breaks my heart to think of all the bunnies living often alone in rescues that get overlooked and never find a loving home of their own (not that they don't get treated well in rescues but it's not the same as having your own loving family).

Because it makes me angry that people still breed more rabbits for profit when there aren't enough homes to go around as it is.

Because it doesn't matter to me what my bunnies look like, it's the relationship I have with them that is important xx

Thanks everyone we dont have a rabbit yet although ive been doing research for months now.and been looking at rescues.ive seen 2 pairs that i feel drawn to.its just so hard to decide and i cant take 4!! so how did you choose yours?

Thanks everyone we dont have a rabbit yet although ive been doing research for months now.and been looking at rescues.ive seen 2 pairs that i feel drawn to.its just so hard to decide and i cant take 4!! so how did you choose yours?

You might find that they choose you once you meet the " right," ones ( not that there could ever be wrong ones ) :D

I agree with sparklefairy or maybe you could go for the ones that have been in rescue the longest time?

I didn't really have this dilema as I was looking for a rabbit that was of a similar age to my current one both times and at the time I was looking there was only really one available that matched. :D

The ones i have seen are on this forum and i couldnt just go and visit as they are to far so i couldnt meet them first before they came home. has anyone done this before and did it work out ok?

I rescued because there was no need to go to a breeder. People go to a breeder to get a baby of a particular breed - I can do that from a rescue if I want, although I prefer adults as you know more what you are getting. Plus I can also get them pre-vaccinated and neutered, which means I will know more about potential health problems of the rabbit and what ther teeth are like, and wont be introducing any nasties to my existing pets either, and it costs me less than if I bought a bun from a breeder and did it myself. (well in my case it didnt as I spent £50 on the train going to get Annabelle :lol: )

And by choosing a bun in rescue you are helping change the lives of two buns - the one who you choose will have a forever home, and that will in turn free up a space for another bun, who may be in dire need of being rescued.

I didnt really choose to rescue Barney, I got asked if I wanted him by the boyfriend of the manager of my local p@h, as he had been given in by his owner and they didnt have a big enough pen that it would be fair to keep him in (as he's a medium-big boy) so if I didnt he would be sent to the Cardiff store adoption section where they had a pen for giants. I had been resisting getting a rabbit for a while on the grounds that it wasnt a sensible decision, but when I went to see Barney I didnt exactly fall in love at first sight, in fact I thought he was a bit weird looking :lol: but I knew I couldnt let him go somewhere where anyone could get him and put him in a 'normal' small hutch.

I reasoned with myself that it was okay to get him as he had been alone so long he would be okay as a single house rabbit - 7 months later, after I had found this place and learnt more about rabbits, I picked up Annabella from the rescue. :lol: :love:

The ones i have seen are on this forum and i couldnt just go and visit as they are to far so i couldnt meet them first before they came home. has anyone done this before and did it work out ok?

Could you not make a weekend of it, or just bite the bullet and do it in a day? I travelled 5 hours there and 7 back to get Annabella, and it was so worth it :love: and I think it helped that I got to spend time with each of the rabbits that I had shortlisted as suitable with help of the rescue, as it helped me choose.

:wave:I read the post about Cinderella and Prince Charming on RU and just about cried at their horrific story. I kept looking and re reading the post couldn't stop thinking about them, after a couple of weeks and serious consideration I phoned Angie at barc,had a good chat with her,reserved them, sorted out their shed and arranged to collect them once my holiday was over and all checks done. I had never met them until we did a four hour round trip to collect them............ Love at first sight,not a single regret they are ABSOLUTLEY my babies and I wouldn't change a thing:D

All mine are rescues - 3 honeybunnies and a barc bunny.
I've been a member here for nearly 7 years, and just couldn't get a bunny from anywhere else than rescue knowing the situation as it is. So many beautiful bunnies needing forever homes.

Ted and Rosie are both BARC rescue bunnies, it would just never even cross my mind not to go to a rescue :D

My first buns were shop brought ( 25 + years ago before I knew about rescue buns) but when they died I had a break from keeping rabbits. Then my next buns ( dutch sisters) Katie and Amber were re-homed buns from a friend of my sister in law who didn't want them anymore. Then along came Holly, who was abandoned in a box just before Christmas...someone brought him to me as they knew I'd look after him (vet said he was a she at the time, but fortunately I noticed before he had chance to make babies!).

My recent buns are Bugsy ( re-homed from a friend of a friend) then Steffi was his wifey, from a rescue, but unfortunately we lost her to a fox when she escaped the outside pen and hid in bushes and refused to come back indoors. So then I got Chloe (impulse buy from P@H to try to console my autistic son who was distraught at losing Steffi) I know I should have got another rescue bun, but I ended up with Chloe, who was lucky I got her as she had an un-noticed eye ulcer.

Then I got Poppy, (another bun who wasn't wanted) from ex's sister-in-law. Then I fostered Pebbles, when his owner went on "holiday" and left her neighbor (my friend) feeding pets, only to find out she wasn't coming back. Again pebbles was lucky I had him..day after I agreed to adopt him, I took him to be neutered, only to find a huge tumor in his abdomen. We had tumor removed and subsequent hernia fixed and he has been the loveliest bun I have ever had!

So I have had a mixture...but knowing what I know now, I would always go for rehoming unwanted buns that would end up in a rescue, or go directly to rescue centres.

No because there are no rescues where I'm at. We got Boris from a kid at the school mum works at, he and his siblings were an accidental litter. I got Bella from a pet shop but she was in the adoption section.

Back