• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cecotropes - bane of my life!

xlaurax

Mama Doe
OK so on my buns' new diet of 75% hay, and the rest a mixture of herbs, salad and pellets they were doing fine no cecotropes and looking healthy, etc.

Then..... they go on the grass and there's cecotropes everywhere! Seriously what the hell!? They haven't left any for ages and now they're doing them on the grass by the dozen!

I don't understand it I just want them to be healthy :cry:

They never leave them in their hutch I don't understand why they feel the need to do them on the grass....! Is it the excitement of the grass? Lord knows....

I sometimes think they do these things to stress me out :roll:

I would guess they've snacked on the grass and the sudden diet change has caused it. Fresh grass can sometimes be quite rich compared to hay. Try introducing grass gradually to the diet by picking it and feeding it at meals, then time spent on it shouldn't cause the problem in future :)

Thanks I think that's probably what it was. It was the first time they'd been exposed to it properly. They'd had dandelions and cuts of grass but I think when they realised there was an unlimited amount of it they went a bit crazy, greedy little so and so's :lol: probably gave their bellies a bit of a surprise!

Back