• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very exciting day today, collected my rescue rabbits today :)

Dobedo

Young Bun
Hiya all :wave: I've had a very exciting day today, have collected my rescue rabbits, Bertie and Lily today! After months of my OH and I building a shed 6ft x 6ft (for the first time I must add), insulating and boarding it etc etc also have attached a runaround tunnel from shed to a great 8ft x 6ft x 3ft run. They have a large hutch inside for them to jump in and out of n also thought it would be more insulation for them in the winter.

They have settled in well, Lily seems the more confident although both were taking dandelion leaves happily from me. They've explored their new home and seem very pleased to have so much more space. Lily has been very adventurous and explored the tunnel and run. She ran around and jumped for joy in the run. She just seemed so pleased with herself! She was so so happy :D massive cuteness! :love:

Hopefully they will settle well tonight and be as happy tomorrow.

A very happy bunny mummy

Debs :D

Thanks Wendie, I will do :) Will check out the sticky on how to post pics and get them posted asap

:D

Contratulations!! I'm sure they will be very happy and what a wonderful thing to do, taking rescue bunnies - well done you!!! Please post pics, as love to see them :thumb:

Hello and welcome!!!

am very excited for you, as I am in a similar position- got my rescue rabbits a week ago - small dutch boy and netherlands dwarf girl, and it was the best thing ever! We've been observing them whilst they sniff around, get to know us and their environment. We are seeing what they like and what they don't - they love burrowing into cardboard boxes so I am raiding my families' houses for shoe boxes and cuttings from mum's apple trees!

They have got more friendly as the days have passed, now coming towards us at times, and not struggling when we pick them, although we are careful not to overwhelm them. and this forum is fab, any questions I have I post on and love seeing people's replies and getting great advice.

Keep us posted on how they get on, would love to see your set-up as well as the buns, sounds like you've worked very hard.

** pic heavy**

Hey there, have now worked out (I think!) how to load photos onto photobucket and maybe on here..so here goes pics of my set up and my new rescue bunnies Bertie and Lily...

295.jpg

297.jpg

296.jpg

298.jpg

283.jpg

299.jpg

303.jpg

301.jpg

349.jpg

324.jpg

351.jpg

311.jpg

Bertie is the white bunny with black nose, ears and tail, Lily is the agouti (not sure if correct spelling). The run can be moved onto the grass with the runaround tunnel still attached, although the run is very well made and heavy so I need someone to help me. I do intend to allow them to free range once i've bunny proofed/excape proofed the garden. They have settled in well and certainly love their tunnel. They have lots of hay and came used to eating the muesli type food but will gradually put them over onto pellets once they have settled. I have found newspaper and hay good for their litter tray. They arent used to using bottles for water so they have water bowls out. I am considering fitting guttering to shed and run especially with the heavy rain we've had today - also possibly raising the roof on the run so the rain runs away rather than collecting a rather large puddle in the middle!

Both buns were found abandoned and rescued by a local resucue. While at the rescue Bertie was suspected EC and they both had a course of panacur and lapizole. Bertie also had scurfy bold patch on his back - possible mites and was given ivomec for 3 wks. They were both well and were released to be rehomed. On the day i was to collect them they were concerned about Bertie as he was head swaying again. A blood test was done and came back clear for EC so the vet has released them saying it could be neurological or to do with white bunnies. I've done some reading on the forum and it could possibly be 'scanning' as he does this and seems perfectly fine and runs about no probs. So im hoping its that rather than anything more serious :? He's alot more laid back than Lily but still quite mischievious! Bless :love: They are off to my new rabbit savvy vets tommorrow morning, which were recommended on the forum, for their VHD (they had their myxi at the rescue). So wish me luck in trying to get them in their carriers! Fingers crossed for Bertie too!!

Also lastly, thanks for all on the forum for all your help and advice you've given me from time to time :D:wave::love:

That set up looks fab and 2 gorgeous bunnys :love: can I be cheeky and ask where you got your hay pans from please I want a smaller one like those :wave:

That set up looks fab and 2 gorgeous bunnys :love: can I be cheeky and ask where you got your hay pans from please I want a smaller one like those :wave:

Hey thanks very much every one, they are absolutely lovely eh?! even though I'm very biased :love:
Building the shed was a nightmare in all the rain we've had over the last few months but we got there, eventually! All of the windows are removeable for if we get warm/hot weather (a tip I got off of the forum!). I also use car sun shades on the windows and door (from the £1 shop which help shade when it is actually sunny!

I think i got the pink litter trays from poundstreacher and the grey one (there's also a blue one like the grey) in the hutch which I think I got from Wilkinsons. I was thinking of getting a bigger one for inside the hutch as they have weed over the edge a couple of times and thought a slightly higher one would be better :)

Debs xx

Beautiful bunnies, and lovely home :D

I agree re the litter tray - I have found that bigger is better when it comes to them!! My two now have the base of a cage as their litter tray, after much trial and error!

What an absolutely amazing setup! So well thought out and done well too! Beautiful bunnies :love: And well done for rescuing them!

. I was thinking of getting a bigger one for inside the hutch as they have weed over the edge a couple of times and thought a slightly higher one would be better :)

:lol: Yep, a common problem! Bunnies do like to back that booty up :roll:!

They are gorgeous and their setup is great!

One thing you said jumped out at me. You said Bertie was swaying? He's got red eyes so I wonder if he was scanning, it's something they can do when they have bad eyesight, it's like they're staring at nothing and their head sways from side to side.

Hey thanks very much :D still a bit of tweeking to do here n there and altering the roof on the run to stop the big rain puddles when its raining heavy. I got an awful lot of ideas from this site and people's advice which was v helpful. Thought the hutch inside the run would help keep them warmer in winter too! It's all taken quite some time to do, major compliments should go to my other half who has worked very hard on it all with me, bless him! He also had to contend with me getting very impatient to find some rescue buns and the weather hindered our progress quite alot! Think he is a bit lost now the rabbit palace is done, so might have to find him some more jobs to do hehe! ;)

:wave:

Back