• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to help a sore hock heal?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I have just posted a thread in bunny chat about Honey's foot, she had poo stuck to it and we've washed it off, but it's really sore looking and she isn't putting that part of her foot down :( is there anything we can do to help it get better? If we put sudocrem or something on she will just lick it off won't she? :?

I am currently treating Finley's sore hock ..... and he only has one.

We have bought foam mats and the vet told us to make a splint with plaster to cushion his foot. We have made the splint (which covers the bottom of his foot and goes over his ankle, if that makes sense!) and leave it on half the day then take it off for a few hours so the foot gets some air. His hock was really bad and kept bleeding but the vet was pleased with the progress so far.

How sore is it? if the skin is not broken then sudocrem will be fine to use. I use it on Inca all the time. I just put it on then distract her for a while with food to let it soak in.

How sore is it? if the skin is not broken then sudocrem will be fine to use. I use it on Inca all the time. I just put it on then distract her for a while with food to let it soak in.

No the skin isn't broken, it's just really red and sore :( it must be really sore as she is limping :( I will try some sudocrem then. Would it be harmful though if she licked it? :?

I am currently treating Finley's sore hock ..... and he only has one.

We have bought foam mats and the vet told us to make a splint with plaster to cushion his foot. We have made the splint (which covers the bottom of his foot and goes over his ankle, if that makes sense!) and leave it on half the day then take it off for a few hours so the foot gets some air. His hock was really bad and kept bleeding but the vet was pleased with the progress so far.

Thanks for that, I don't think I could use foam mats though as Olly and Honey tend to chew everything :roll: I'm trying to think if there's anything else... :?

No the skin isn't broken, it's just really red and sore :( it must be really sore as she is limping :( I will try some sudocrem then. Would it be harmful though if she licked it? :?

Nope, won't harm her. My Inca has licked sudocrem loads and always been fine. Just put a thin layer on and then it should dry in to the skin quickly. Apply the cream a couple / few times a day. If she keeps limping then I would see the vet, hopefully she is just a wee bit tender and it will clear up.

Nope, won't harm her. My Inca has licked sudocrem loads and always been fine. Just put a thin layer on and then it should dry in to the skin quickly. Apply the cream a couple / few times a day. If she keeps limping then I would see the vet, hopefully she is just a wee bit tender and it will clear up.

Thank you :wave: I'll get some tomorrow.

I always use sudocream on all my pets! I used to use it around my old doe's bum as she wasnt a clean rabbit and her bum was sometimes dirty, the flies dont seem to like the smell of it so it kept the flies away during summer.. Its what we put in the horses ears to keep the flies away too :) x

If she is still not putting weight on her leg then really it is very important to rule out underlying infection.

Without wishing to cause offence or imply that you would not do so I think getting her examined by a Vet would be a good idea. Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of another problem and as previously mentioned, ruling out underlying infection is extremely important. Once infection sets in the problem can become very nasty. A course of a NSAID such as Metacam is another thing which is very likely to be necessary .

If she is still not putting weight on her leg then really it is very important to rule out underlying infection.

Without wishing to cause offence or imply that you would not do so I think getting her examined by a Vet would be a good idea. Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of another problem and as previously mentioned, ruling out underlying infection is extremely important. Once infection sets in the problem can become very nasty. A course of a NSAID such as Metacam is another thing which is very likely to be necessary .

Hi Jane, yes I'm planning to ring the vets today, we are going away for 5 days on Monday so I want to make sure everybun's ok before we go! :wave:

Well we are off to the vets tonight, couldn't get an appointment until now, it's been mega busy after the bank hols! :shock: Honey doesn't seem quite as bad although she's still not putting her foot down properly :( we are getting their claws clipped and the combi vaccine at the same time, so it won't be a cheap trip!!! :shock:

Back