• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny palace (shed and aviary run) In progress - PIC HEAVY!

MotherPanda

Warren Scout
Hello, as many have heard me say, I've spent the last year without any buns around and I miss their niffly noses, flopsy ears and tails that shine white like the stars.

So I have sold a load of stuff on ebay, and am spending £100s on creating the ultimate bunny palace, I'm hoping i can foster/adopt two or three buns and am on the look out and I'm almost ready.

My idea is to create the perfect accommodation so that the rabbits can be happy just being rabbits, and won't rely on me for cuddles or exercise to keep them occupied - as I now work full time and have a baby! Of course, there is always someone at home to keep an eye on them, and look out for empty water bottles or sick buns and I will be able to spend time with them every morning, evening and weekend.

photo-41.jpg

so this is the shed, a good sturdy shiplap shed I bought second hand from ebay, and had it delivered. I refelted the room, and then covered it in bamboo which we had spare and should help keep it warm and frost free - also improves the appearance! I decided to keep the glass windows in for those cold nights and winter months.

photo-38.jpg

The inside was all dry and in good condition, so went off shopping for insulation! Went for thermal foil bubble wrap stuff as it looked so easy to do - staple staple staple!

photo-39.jpg

photo-43.jpg

photo-42.jpg

photo-45.jpg

I decided to insulate the floor too, and put a hardboard covering over it and then got some of the lino tiles from the pound shop and popped them down, was a bit worried about them lifting up, but thought it was easier for me to get hold of them and they look alright.

photo-46.jpg

Then started boarding up the inside of the shed, we went for hardboard as it was so much more affordable although I know we've got to be careful about looking out for nibbling!

photo-44.jpg

Made two ventilation panels, but also didn't insulate the side of the shed with the door on, which has a few small holes and gaps, to let air in on cool days.

photo-36.jpg

Forgot to take a few pictures for a while, but i bought two second hand ikea tables for £6, so will be fixing those in, also built a lightweight pine shelf to create layers and storage - and I want to create a window shelf for the bunnies so still have a bit to go, will be making boxes, ramps and installing more tunnels so will let you know once i do more inside!

I have two puppy panels to cover the door gap in the shed on hot days, but don't have any pics of that yet... they are balanced on cup hooks from wilkinsons.

photo-35.jpg

My two most expensive buys so far have been aviary panels to create a closed off run, and run around tunnels with doors to attach them

photo-37.jpg

photo-34.jpg

Have only attached one side of the aviary run so far, need to put in the door later... but rain made us run for cover, so will have to wait another day.

The run is somewhere between 12x6ft and 14x6ft, need to get out with my measuring tape again.

Digging pit needs to be made outside too.. and hoping to get a tree stump out there, I have an old poppy hutch outside for some outdoor shelter too.

So much more to do... so much money already spent!!! must remember to leave money to actually adopt some buns :lol:

I'm glad I'm finally getting to the fun parts - It takes so long just to prepare it, doing the boring bits like re-felting, insulating and boarding which are important but nobody can really tell you've done anything!

We have bought so many new tools in the last few weeks - I get my lovely husband to do all the scary bits like using the electric saw!

I'm glad I'm finally getting to the fun parts - It takes so long just to prepare it, doing the boring bits like re-felting, insulating and boarding which are important but nobody can really tell you've done anything!

We have bought so many new tools in the last few weeks - I get my lovely husband to do all the scary bits like using the electric saw!

When my bf made the outdoor buns hutch he did all the sawing and nailing, I just painted ;) :lol:

This weekend's work - we're getting close!

photo-47.jpg

photo-48.jpg

photo-51.jpg

photo-49.jpg

photo-50.jpg

Got some netting to put over the run today, and cage mesh to go over our shelving unit. Some relatives are having a tree chopped down tomorrow so i've asked if they can save me a tree stump for the bunnies!

Looks brilliant! Definitely inspired me to make the buns an enclosure.

Can I ask what kind of wood you're using for the run?? I've no idea what kind of wood or weld mesh I need to be using :oops:

The wood is just pine but pssst -I bought the panels ready made from ebay!, we had to add some extra bits of wood in the middle as they wern't quite big enough to bridge the gap, and had to add the bolts on etc, but saved a huge job - just search 'aviary panels' on ebay :)

The weld mesh we got was 19 gauge, 1 x 1/2 inch i think - that's the recommended min for buns, 16 gauge is stronger but much more expensive, and this 19g looks pretty strong.

The wood is just pine but pssst -I bought the panels ready made from ebay!, we had to add some extra bits of wood in the middle as they wern't quite big enough to bridge the gap, and had to add the bolts on etc, but saved a huge job - just search 'aviary panels' on ebay :)

Excellent, thank you! :D

Have been busy this weekend - the house is ready :) got some more hay racks, to put up. it's all so perfect :)

photo-52.jpg

photo-53.jpg

photo-54.jpg

photo-55.jpg

photo-56.jpg

photo-57.jpg

photo-58.jpg

I can't wait to get some bunnies in there...

I hope so - unfortunately I'm 40 miles away from the nearest rescue in all directions, and don't drive... so actually getting some bunnies to live in there is going to be a bit tricky... I haven't been thinking about it too much up till now but am suddenly panicking that I'm NEVER going to get rabbits... have been planning, building and waiting so long! Rabbits keep popping up in my dreams and I speak of all else.

I want bunnies [stamps foot!]

Don't worry I don't drive but managed to vet Scooter and Jigsaw from down near Leicester to Halifax, a few members from here did a bunny run and I got a lift around 10 mile out or so to pick them up

The bunny palace looks amazing! You have actually inspired me to do something with what used to be a dog run out in my (secure) backyard! Hope you get some bunnies soon, they will be very lucky!

Dave - that's reassuring about how you got your bunnies, can I ask was it honeybunnies where you got your rabbits? Have heard about bunny runs but wasn't sure how easy they are to arrange.

It's fun to have projects :)

Dave - that's reassuring about how you got your bunnies, can I ask was it honeybunnies where you got your rabbits? Have heard about bunny runs but wasn't sure how easy they are to arrange.

It's fun to have projects :)

Yes they came from honeybunnies

Back