• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop myself from getting bitten

this isnt about george coz he wouldnt dare bite me coz he loves me :lol:

one of our other rabbits can be a bit of a stubborn tempermental cow at times and i was out there just now feeding them and they all make a fuss when they see anyone going out there with food, i'd fed george and the other rabbit we have and all that was left to do was feed blacky, who was scrapping at her cage door as she could see everyone else being fed and not her and i opened the cage door and had to lean into the cage to get her bowl and she decided to bite my wrist

this isnt the first time shes done it and this time she managed to do it so hard that it bled a tiny bit

am i doing something wrong or could this just be part of her stubborness?

Sounds like simple hutch aggression/ food aggression to me.

Basically, you're touching her stuff, and she's telling you that it is her stuff so back off! :lol:

My Barney used to be like this. I just learnt to work around it, I distracted him with food whilst getting his bowl, and scatter fed as much as possible, and stopped putting my hand in his cage when he was in it, waited till he was out to clean it etc. He got a lot better when I stopped 'invading his territory', as he saw it. Then I got him neutered and he's fine now, and only sometimes funny about food, so I just put the bowl down quick or scatter feed to avoid being bitten. Part of it I think is because his eyesight is poor, so he gets over-excited about food and goes to bite it, and misses and bites me instead - is she a REW, and do you think her eyesight is okay?

Food/Hutch aggression isnt being nasty or anything, or even stubburn really, its just them saying 'oy! that's mine!', its more defensive than aggressive really, rabbits are territorial animals.

Most bunnies are very territorial even if they are spayed/neutered. I have two bunnies both are spayed/neutered and they both bite me. It usually happens at food time but they will lunge and bite if I put my hand near them when they are sat in their favourite places. They really enjoy running out from under my bed and biting me if I put my hand down...so I don't do it :lol:

The best thing to do is to avoid putting your hands in her cage whilst she is in. Obviously that makes it a bit awkward with feeding time so if I were you I'd just develop quick reflexes. :lol:

If she isn't spayed then that may help with some aggression but as I mentioned it didn't help with my two at all :roll:

No she isnt spayed as she lives in a hutch all on her own

we brought her with another rabbit and they used to live together but had to be seperated after a nasty fight

No she isnt spayed as she lives in a hutch all on her own

we brought her with another rabbit and they used to live together but had to be seperated after a nasty fight

Even rabbits that live alone should be spayed, to prevent behaviour problems and more importantly uterine cancer. When you get her neutered she will likely calm down a bit :thumb:

Yes, it is very common that rabbits will fight if they aren't neutered, but once neutered and properly bonded they can be just fine together :)

Sounds like simple hutch aggression/ food aggression to me.

Basically, you're touching her stuff, and she's telling you that it is her stuff so back off! :lol:

My Barney used to be like this. I just learnt to work around it, I distracted him with food whilst getting his bowl, and scatter fed as much as possible, and stopped putting my hand in his cage when he was in it, waited till he was out to clean it etc. He got a lot better when I stopped 'invading his territory', as he saw it. Then I got him neutered and he's fine now, and only sometimes funny about food, so I just put the bowl down quick or scatter feed to avoid being bitten. Part of it I think is because his eyesight is poor, so he gets over-excited about food and goes to bite it, and misses and bites me instead - is she a REW, and do you think her eyesight is okay?

Food/Hutch aggression isnt being nasty or anything, or even stubburn really, its just them saying 'oy! that's mine!', its more defensive than aggressive really, rabbits are territorial animals.

sorry for sounding dumb but whats a REW? :oops:

sorry for sounding dumb but whats a REW? :oops:

Red-Eyed White - they more often than not have sight problems, along with pink-eyed whites and blue-eyed whites. Of course other colours can have it too, but if you have a white rabbit with red, pink or blue eyes it is more likely.

edit: and its not dumb, I didnt know that before I joined the forum, its just a shortening of the phrase because people are too lazy to write the whole thing :lol:

Last edited:
I agree with everything Nessar has said. Getting he rspayed would be the best course of action for yours and her health!

Red-Eyed White - they more often than not have sight problems, along with pink-eyed whites and blue-eyed whites. Of course other colours can have it too, but if you have a white rabbit with red, pink or blue eyes it is more likely.

no shes not white

i'm not sure what breed she it, all i know is shes black :lol:

Even rabbits that live alone should be spayed, to prevent behaviour problems and more importantly uterine cancer. When you get her neutered she will likely calm down a bit :thumb:

Yes, it is very common that rabbits will fight if they aren't neutered, but once neutered and properly bonded they can be just fine together :)

:thumb: a lot of behavioural 'problems' stem from rabbits being intact and having rampant hormones. Once they aren't being ruled by hormones they tend to calm down and you start seeing their true personality.

Don't worry :)
My rabbit used to be like that to. Mozart (my bunny) used to lunge at me a few times until I got him neutered. Now he does it less but he still tries to nip me sometimes if i'm reaching into his cage.
The best to do is if you are reaching into your rabbit's cage to put in food or whatever, you should put your hand on the bunny, stroke him/her and just keep a light but firm hand on them when you put food in. This way, your bunny won't be as scare for worried and your hand will stop them slightly if they try to attack/bite.

Back