• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Noisy belly and strange poo

Dishydashy

New Kit
I just got in from work and checked on dash to discover his cage covered in an almost liquid like poo.. It's staying together but not his normal looser stuff. I picked him up to notice his rear end covered in the stuff :( His belly also seems to be making strange grumbly sounds (almost like when a human is hungry) the stuff doesn't seem to have much of a smell, nothing like he normally come out with!!

He seems happy enough, sitting watching me write this chattering his teeth! He was also really excited to see me (or just at the chance to come out and play!)

Does anyone have any ideas? His diet hasn't changed, he just spent a longer period outside yesterday.

Thank you in advance xx

Is he eating? Because if he isn't then he might be in stasis?

To be honest I might ring the vets anyway. Diarrhoea can't be normal in a rabbit. And they might get more dehydrated too!

I am not an expert, so can anyone else help?

Did he eat lots of extra grass yesterday when he was out? That could maybe cause a problem if he isn't used to it. Daisy has a naturally grumbly belly, but i know this can indicate a problem with some buns. It's definitely worth checking with a vet.

The chattering noise he is making with his teeth is him grinding his teeth , and that hard grinding sound is what rabbits do when they are in pain:( I would take him to the vets and get him checked out, and the vet will also give him some pain relief.

Has he got gas? The noisy tummy could indicate gas and that would cause pain, which would make him grind his teeth. You could try some Infacol or Gripe Water and see if that helps. Is he laying pressing his tummy to the ground? Hope he is soon back well again soon. xxx

Liquid poo would be a definite worry, I would be taking him to the vets asap especially if he is showing signs of pain. If anything he should be taken to get fluids and pain relief.

Vets would be first port of call for me, runny poops of how you described don't sound great. Chattering teeth can mean 2 things, they are in pain or they are happy. It could be anything! Hope he is okay!

My bun had diarrhoea this weekend. She had to be on syringe feeding for 48 hrs before the pain passed. Please keep an eye on your buns eating.

I would not give any veg if he is still eating, and make sure he is getting as much hay (i.e.: fibre) as possible.

Also you need to wash his rear end ASAP as fly strike is a risk, especially in the recent hot weather.

If there is still strange poo coming out, then a trip to the vets asap would be advisable.
Bunnies can go downhill so rapidly and time can be of the essence.

Is he still eating and drinking okay?
What about his general demeanour?
Is he hopping around happily or sitting and looking rather uncomfortable?

Make sure that he is drinking enough to stop him from being dehydrated and hopefully he is still eating.

If you can't get to a vets today, then first thing tomorrow morning would be good.

Best to get things like this checked out.

Good luck.

We are having to syringe feed him water as he went off during the hot weather (vet advised us to do this!). I have cleaned him up and since then he has perked up. However he is still off to the vets in the morning as they said they were really busy today and as he was still eating. His teeth chattering is happening when he gets a fuss so guessing that's happiness? He doesn't appear in pain as he's lying normally and he's let us stroke him and had lots of cuddles.

He's not a big hay eater but we have given him extra today and he's been happy to eat it which seems a bit strange, he had abit of grass yesterday less than usual.

Thank you so much for you help so far :) xx

If they grind their teeth when you fuss them, yes this can be pleasure/happiness.

BUT if they are just sitting there hunched up and grinding their teeth then they are in pain.

My bunny gets a slightly upset tum if she's been in the garden all day eating grass, I think too much grass might disagree with them. Some more so than others.

Anyway, hope your bunny is ok now x

Back