• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Furosemide dose and experiences/thoughts please

bunniesgalore

Alpha Buck
Hello.
Milly had to have sludge cleared from her bladder a month or so ago. I'm trying to reduce her calcium intake but she has additionally started to have metacam once a day and Furosemide. I asked for Furosemide after reading helpful comments on here so thank you. She is currently on 1 ml twice a day (20mg/5ml oral solution). Having to rugby tackle her twice a day (I'm serious-she runs and leaps over beds etc) took it out of both of us so I reduced it to once a day but after a few days she was quiet again so went back to original doseage.

I'd be interested to know more about the doses other bunnies are on and frequency. It's really tough twice a day and because Milkly gets in such a tizz it upsets Rupert bunny too. I've tried pretenting I'm doing something, thus taking advantage of bunny nosiness and then just grabbing her in preference to a chase but understandably they've become very wary of me and when I step into the room Rupert grunts and they both run away!

Other than that it does seem to be helping alot. Milly's much better, eating well, not such a fuss toiletting etc. Better than she's been for some time which is good news. Thank you.

We have used the same med recently on two different bunnies. Both had it twice a day. The doses varied because the rabbits were very different sizes but the smallest dose was also 1ml.

Luckily she loved it and took it straight from the syringe, but the other bunny hated it and I was left with scratches up my arms twice daily!

Artie gets Furosemide 20mg tablets, 1/2 a tablet once a day. He's about 2.5kg.

It's really easy giving him his dose as he gets it in a tiny chunk of apple. In theory the acidity of the apple is beneficial for this condition so I was giving it anyway. I just make a deep incision into the apple with a sharp knife and then push the piece of tablet deep into the centre of the apple. By the time he gets it the tablet has dissolved. No stress whatsoever. He's been getting this for nearly 3 years now.

Artie gets Furosemide 20mg tablets, 1/2 a tablet once a day. He's about 2.5kg.

It's really easy giving him his dose as he gets it in a tiny chunk of apple. In theory the acidity of the apple is beneficial for this condition so I was giving it anyway. I just make a deep incision into the apple with a sharp knife and then push the piece of tablet deep into the centre of the apple. By the time he gets it the tablet has dissolved. No stress whatsoever. He's been getting this for nearly 3 years now.

We tried that after you recommended the apple idea, it worked for a few weeks and then he got wise to it and ate round the tablet and left the rest :roll:

We have used the same med recently on two different bunnies. Both had it twice a day. The doses varied because the rabbits were very different sizes but the smallest dose was also 1ml.

Luckily she loved it and took it straight from the syringe, but the other bunny hated it and I was left with scratches up my arms twice daily!

I'm also the victim of Milly's displeasure. I literally have to rugby tackle her to actually get hold of her then she bites the top of my arm drawing blood (despite multiple layers of clothing) and scratches me to pieces the latest being huge scratches on my throat and neck. Ouch. I'm getting quite frightened of her now! The meds are working well and she's in great shape but I'm bruised, scratched and bleeding. It's quite an ordeal and I'm shattered. The life of a carer is never easy!!!

Back