• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rapid Breathing

clarebear

Mama Doe
Bramble seems to be breathing much faster than normal, and ocassionally does a little jump. Took him to the vets on Saturday as I was worried about him. They listened to his chest and lungs and could hear no blockages, so they gave him an antibiotic injection and he has to go back on Wednesday.

He seems fine in himself....still mad for his food and happy to hop and around with Bungee.

Recently he has had quite a lot of stress....vets for mixi vacs, vets for emergency when he stopped eating, trip to and from Boarding while we went on holiday and another trip to the vets on Saturday.

Could he just be stressed? The nurse said moulting can cause an increase in breathing?

Any suggestions please? So worried about him :cry:

Bramble seems to be breathing much faster than normal, and ocassionally does a little jump. Took him to the vets on Saturday as I was worried about him. They listened to his chest and lungs and could hear no blockages, so they gave him an antibiotic injection and he has to go back on Wednesday.

He seems fine in himself....still mad for his food and happy to hop and around with Bungee.

Recently he has had quite a lot of stress....vets for mixi vacs, vets for emergency when he stopped eating, trip to and from Boarding while we went on holiday and another trip to the vets on Saturday.

Could he just be stressed? The nurse said moulting can cause an increase in breathing?

Any suggestions please? So worried about him :cry:

It might be that he is just out of breath from running about and playing but if your worried take him to the vet

I did wonder that, but it's not been hot here really for the last week....rain and wind in fact!

Yes it's cooler here- but my old bun room used to really catch the sun. As you've seen a vet already, I might be inclined to just monitor bun for a couple of days in case is stress related, but if any other symptoms or breathing doesn't slow I would get another appointment :/

Could be heart related? My Rex was rapid breathing as she got diagnosed, but she had other symptoms and wasn't moving around a lot

My Boris has snuffles and one of the very first symptoms he displayed was rapid breathing. If the problem persists it could be something similar, or possibly an allergy? Do you use sawdust or woodshavings or anything like that? They're notorious for causing respiratory infections. How about the hay, could it be dusty?

If it's snuffles then you'll hopefully have caught it at an early stage. A long course of antibiotics should sort it out. Sending vibes for your little boy xxx

Even with all this cooler weather my room gets quite warm. Xena is particularly sensitive to the warmth and doesn't cope very well in it. She will flop more often, refuse to eat her hay for more than 5 mins and breathe quite rapidly. I would monitor him and if you are worried you could possibly ask the vets to check his heart rate (although it will be difficult as he will be stressed), tbh I think if no other symptoms appear then there wouldn't be much the vets could do.

Bramble seems fine in himself today....hungry...as usual! Hopping around and being groomed by Bungee!

Breathing is still fast though....hopefully the appointment at the vets tomorrow will put my mind at ease...

Back