• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please- eyes moving constantly and a little off colour

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hi all
My bunny star is not right today and can't quite put my finger on it. She didn't want her pellets this morning which never happens and she just doesn't look her usual self to me. I have given her a thorough check over and the only thing i noticed was that her eyes are constantly moving horizontally. One eye is very noticable and it looks like she is blinking every couple of seconds. The other eye is very slight and you have to look very close to see. She has always suffered with milky discharge and its nver been an issue, the eye still looks the same just the movement.

I know that rabbits can get this with headtilt/e.c and was a little concerned if it is early onset. She has not issue with balance and her head is straight. Her ears have been a little up and down. i've looked in the ears but can't see anything but i know it would be deeper down if there was infection.

I have given her a dose of metacam to see if that helps. She is doing ok and is eating and popping despite leaving her pellets this morning. I am going to keep a close eye on her and take her to the vet wed if no better.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

It's called nystagmus and as you say it can be associated with headtilt/ec/ear infections/ neurological problems.
Could you get her to a vet sooner? It could get a lot worse by wednesday xx

She needs urgent Veterinary attention. The symptoms you describe, ie the horizontal nystagmus, indicate a problem effecting her brain

It could be meningitis secondary to a bacterial ear infection, EC is another possibility but with EC it is usually vertical or rotary nystagmus

I would call the out-of-hours Vet now

Good luck

Oh dear, hope Star is ok. I recall an article which I now can't find which says that horizontal nystagmus is associated with ear infections (vertical being more associated with ec). I don't know how true it is, but I would certainly be concerned about a bunny with flickering eyes and wouldn't want to wait until Wednesday before they are seen, I would class that as something which needs emergency investigation and treating. If it is infection, time is of the essence.

Good luck, hope your little one is ok xx

Oh dear, hope Star is ok. I recall an article which I now can't find which says that horizontal nystagmus is associated with ear infections (vertical being more associated with ec). I don't know how true it is, but I would certainly be concerned about a bunny with flickering eyes and wouldn't want to wait until Wednesday before they are seen, I would class that as something which needs emergency investigation and treating. If it is infection, time is of the essence.

Good luck, hope your little one is ok xx

Was this the article?: http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

have just been sat with her and she is much happier and took a few pellets....better news is that the eye movemnet appears to have stopped. I suspect the metacam has helped so obviously it may come back but no use taking her to the emergency vet with no symptoms so will closely monitor her and she what happens and will see the vet either way wednesday to get her checked if not beofre if it happens again.

thanks for all the advice x

Oh dear, you are taking a big risk in waiting :cry:

I respect your opinion but I don't think that is fair, you make me sound like a bad bunny parent!
i don't see the point in stressing her to see a non rabbit savy vet and there are no symptoms to show him. I have metacam and panacur and will take her to the vet if the symptoms come back and will get her checked on wednesday either way. Its not about money it about what i think is best for her.

having just sat with her she looked her normal self and was happy, moving around and eating so I don't feel this is an emergency.

My thoughts, too. We've (perhaps I should say I've) seen it too many times ....

I asked for advice but now feel I have been made to look like i don't care! I'm sorry if i sound off but it is upsetting when you care so much about your rabbits.

I have kept rabbits for 12 years and have witnessed and nursed 2 cases of headtilt. I have also had many bad experiences with vets that don't know enough about rabbits and have made matters worse. I would NEVER put one of my babies at risk!

I asked for advice but now feel I have been made to look like i don't care! I'm sorry if i sound off but it is upsetting when you care so much about your rabbits.

I have kept rabbits for 12 years and have witnessed and nursed 2 cases of headtilt. I have also had many bad experiences with vets that don't know enough about rabbits and have made matters worse. I would NEVER put one of my babies at risk!

I'm so sorry. It wasn't my intention at all. I shouldn't have posted.

My intention was not to make you feel bad, I was not sure if you understood the potential seriousness of the symptoms you described. Without abx infection can spread rapidly and it can be catastrophic. But maybe I have interpreted your OP incorrectly

I hope your Rabbit will be OK :)

My intention was not to make you feel bad, I was not sure if you understood the potential seriousness of the symptoms you described. Without abx infection can spread rapidly and it can be catastrophic. But maybe I have interpreted your OP incorrectly

I hope your Rabbit will be OK :)

You didn't cause the upset, Jane, it was me, and I posted out of concern. Wish I hadn't.:(

You didn't cause the upset, Jane, it was me, and I posted out of concern. Wish I hadn't.:(

Thank you for apologising it was janes post that upset me not you as it seems so unfair the way it was written and upset me

All that matters is star is doing fine and I will keep a close eye on her and if the eye movement comes back we will be straight to the vet

So no hard feelings but please try to word things better as to not cause offence especially when someone is already upset!

Thank you for apologising it was janes post that upset me not you as it seems so unfair the way it was written and upset me

All that matters is star is doing fine and I will keep a close eye on her and if the eye movement comes back we will be straight to the vet

So no hard feelings but please try to word things better as to not cause offence especially when someone is already upset!

I apologise for upsetting you

I think I will stay out of Health for a bit. Seems like I upset everyone

:cry:

Hope Star continues to be OK

I apologise for upsetting you

I think I will stay out of Health for a bit. Seems like I upset everyone

:cry:

Hope Star continues to be OK

Jane: Don't you dare- we need you!

Bunny mad lisa: I hope Star is ok too- no one meant to upset you, it's just that the symptoms described sounded rather worrying xx

Def vets- if it was my bun I wouldn't wait til Wednesday. I have also nursed buns with headtilt and ec.
Sorry if this upsets you- you asked for advice - My advice - vets, ASAP

I hope Star is feeling better today. I know Jane didn't mean any offence when she posted, but you asked fr advice and she gave it, the vets!

We see this often on here, someone posts with a list of symptoms, the yare advised to go ot the vets, the person then says bunny is much better now so not taking them.

You are posting on a forum of bunny lovers and therefore if someone's rabbit is ill the majority of advice will be take them straight to the vet it cold be serious.

Back