• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help/advice needed

VickyC83

Mama Doe
Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Panick stations are going. I've had Bunzle to the vets today. He had a sticky bum last week which I cleaned up and he was fine. He has had this before and the vet has advised certain foods can cause this and that some buns are more prone to it than others. I noticed on wednesday he wasn't eating as much as usual, so i started him on fiberplex. I noticed last night when he was eating that he was shaking his paws in front of his mouth, like he had a bad taste. The vet couldn't see any problem with front or back teeth. He did say his gut had slowed down though and that it needed to sound better by weds or he'd want to do a dental to make double sure. He have bunzle a vitamin jab and sent me home with baytril. He's not interested in dried food but he's had dandelion leaves, grass and parsley. He're also had a very small amount of cabbage and carrot. My brother has called me to come home as he thinks bunzle is acting strangely, craving attention. He still seems lively, but is shaking his head. I called vets now who don't seem remotely interested. The only other emergency vet i could find said he sounds ok and to take him to vets now tomorrow. Can anyone offer any advice or opinions?

Did the initial Vet administer any pain relief ?

Did he/she check Bunzle's ears ?

It does sound as though he has discomfort in either his mouth or ears and both need further investigation. Hope you are able to get more help from a Vet today xx

Thank you for replying =) the vet checked his teeth. They all seemed fine. He did say if he doesn't pick up by weds he'll put him under to get a better look at his back teeth. He isn't drooling or showing normal signs of being a dental bun. He's 3 and never needed his teeth touching. He only started shaking his head last night. I stayed up til around 5. He was bouncing all over my bed so i decided to get a couple of hours. It was as though he wanted attention, but i didn't want to dismiss that incase he was sacred/stressed. The vet i rang last night said he couldn't treat him as he is under another vet. My vet uses vets now as emergency vets. The one near us is horrendous. All they care about is the money. I have noticed his droppings have reduced. My first rabbit had really bad stasis and we pulled him through with lactulose. I'm going to ring the bunny boarding place we use and get their opinion, they know buns better than most vets. Thank you again =) x

Sending vibes for bunzle! I hope he will be ok :) Has he eaten any hay? Is he drinking? If rabbits eat too much fruit and veg and not enough hay/pellets/water they can get diarrhoea. I hope your bunny gets well soon :)

Back