• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stroking Bunnies x

Oonagh

Warren Scout
Is it true that Bunnies don't like being stroked on the head? I heard one of the staff at pets at home say it.... My bunnies LOVE Head rubs!! :)

Mine love it too they put their heads down for ya to stroke their noses and head P@H don't no what they on about :roll:

And their cheeks and ears... and when they've been naughty the get lower back scratches which tickle and make them scamper off. :lol:

Head rubs are their favourite, they might of meant the mouth/nose area as most rabbits don't like those areas being touched and I guess they'd still be classed as 'head'

As for my lot...I can win Little Miss over, but her eyes get crossed with the effort of loving it and wanting to growl at the same time!!

Ruby parrot likes head tickles too and when I stop, will pick up my fingers so I can carry on......BTW, she was bought at Pets at Home back in 2002.....In fact, they named her RUBY without even doing a DNA so that just proves how **** they are!!

Complete rubbish! Head rubs are the favorite place to be petted, and then when confidence with the owner builds up they will usually allow to be petted all over.

I've found myself correcting Pets at Home staff before. They weren't particularly happy about me doing it but I care more about the rabbit being sold. I overheard one saying that rabbits will only live 4 years. I had rage haha. :censored: Another told me that it didn't matter if they didn't like hay because it was a physical impossibility for a rabbit to starve or stop eating...erm..heard of gastric stasis?!

It really annoys me, they're are giving out wrong information about animals!! :evil:

Weeeeellllll...playing devils advocate here...;)

Most bunnies are very happy to be stroked on the top of the head, in fact this is where most people start with strokes, in order to build up confidence. Some buns love their cheeks rubbed too, when they really trust their owner.

BUT there are the odd buns who won't let you touch their head and if you try, go nuts and savage your hand to a bleeding stump. Most bunnies like this have mad behavioural problems and won't be stroked anywhere, but I have met two bunnies who would let you pet their back but not go near the head or ears. One had a definite history of abuse around the head (she'd had her ear sliced off) and I don't know about the other. Obviously that would account for not wanting to be touched around that area.

So, although in general they are talking absolute tripe, if they are talking about an individual bunny they could be right.

Back