• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I get rid of ANTS whilst not harming bunnies?

Saj

Alpha Buck
Hello

We have quite an anty garden anyhow, if the kids ever drop a bit of food, it attracts ants and before we got our bunnies we used to use normal shop bought ant killer - the white powder stuff.

How we have outdoor bunnies :), there is food in their hutch and I havent seen ants on the food yet but I did see a few on the wood outside of the hutch.

SO, what's a rabbit safe way of keeping ants away? (obviously i do remove uneaten food promptly etc). and do ants harm rabbits - Im not sure...?:oops:

I don't think there is much you can do. Even the normal poisons won't really get rid of them.
For a bunny safe solution you could use boiling water, but I doubt it'll make much difference

The ants shouldn't harm the bunnies, I have ants in the garden but it's just a natural thing, so you don't need to worry.

I use ant stations that you can buy in packs of 2. I place them near the source of the ants if they are close to or in the house, and then make sure i put an upturned terracotta pot over the top as an extra precaution.

thanks peops, that's put my mind at rest. Like the ant station and terracotta pot idea. think though the ants bother me more than they would do the rabbits because I don't like them, I think 'don't go near my precious bun-buns!':lol:

I use ant stations that you can buy in packs of 2. I place them near the source of the ants if they are close to or in the house, and then make sure i put an upturned terracotta pot over the top as an extra precaution.

I got the ant stations... always used them VERY effective as the ants take the poison to their nests and nothing gets blown about. Just dont place them to near to buns incase rain washes any of the gel anywhere.. i never had this problem but u never know.

Tape sticky side out or grease around the hutch legs. Look for products aimed at keeping them off fruit trees - same principle applies.

Back