• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Occasional Diarrhoea

house-kun

Young Bun
I came home from work recently and noticed my ND buck lying on his stomach on the mezzanine in his cage. His posture seemed to indicate that he had stomach pain, and there was a little diarrhoea on the floor. I offered him one of his favourite treats, which he sniffed, but he didn't eat it. I massaged his head, which he appreciated, and left some treats in a bowl for him to eat. I woke up in the early hours and heard him eating his treats, and the next day he appeared to be fine and was running around, jumping and generally making a nuisance of himself as per usual.

When I first acquired him, I got him neutered and at the time the vet said that there were some dental spurs on his molars. Since that time he has been almost exclusively a hay-burner and recent checkups have revealed that is teeth are now in tip-top condition. I did notice that the times he has had diarrhoea have coincided with a heavy moult. Generally, his fur comes out in tufts and he looks like a dandelion. It's terrible. His fur gets up my nose and causes me to sneeze something chronic. What is fur made of? Asbestos? In addition, I can only groom him effectively if I wear leather motorcycle gloves, such is his displeasure. Anyway, I digress.

Could the diarrhorea be related to his moults?

Are you sure it is true diarrhoea and not uneaten/unformed cecotrophs ?

That's a good point. On both occasions he 'bounced back', quickly so I can't be sure. Something was giving him a dicky belly judging by his posture, but I'm not sure what. Maybe he ate something bad (he has a PVC fetish).

It's happened twice over a two year period, and he's recovered within a few hours, so I'm not too worried. I'll query it with the vet the next time he goes in for a check-up.

Did he have any fresh fruit/vegetables that day? my pebbles sometimes has diarrhea ( as opposed to uneaten ceacotropes) when he has eaten a vegetable or plant from the garden that doesn't agree with him.. I think it was kohl rabbi last time! Or if they have too much of a vegetable or fruit in one go ( like strawberries).

He's fine now. Here's a photo compilation of him foraging for treats!

house2.jpg

Back