• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed pls - bunny confirmed not ec but occasional head tilt?

Dobedo

Young Bun
Hi there!

I have been looking at adopting two rescue buns (approx 1 yr old found abandoned)the last couple of wks, I was told one may have had suspected EC and both were treated with pancur and something else, both were then fine. The day I was due to pick them up they suspected the same bun had slight head tilt. He was then blood tested and results today are that he doesn't have EC. He has the occasional slight head tilt but otherwise is perfectly healthy. All the vet has said is that it might be neurological? They can't be sure without more intrusive examination and or MRI scans they can't be sure and they are unable to do such further investigations.
I've done some reading/research and I understand some rabbits can have head tilt but be perfectly fine, some it's a long road with treatments etc etc...
Do you have any experience of this? What are the possible outcomes? What do you all suggest? I'm not sure what to do and they are both beautiful buns :/
Any help or advice would be greatfully received :)

Debs x

Hey thanks for your swift replies, I would have thought so, he spent a couple of days at the vets last week and the vet visited him today. Also previously they treated him for suspected EC initially as was under the care of the vet for over a months panacur treatment. I'll ask anyway if they've considered it and given any antibiotics, worth a try :?

X

Have spoken to the rescue n they have said his ears are fine, all checked etc they also said they had heard it might be to do with White rabbits??! Which I've never heard before ?!

X

Have spoken to the rescue n they have said his ears are fine, all checked etc they also said they had heard it might be to do with White rabbits??! Which I've never heard before ?!

X

the middle ear cannot just be check by looking into them, my bun had severe head tilt which turned out to be middle ear infection good luck:wave:

X

Inner ear infections need an xray to diagnose properly.

Hey thanks very much for that, I am picking the rabbits up on Tuesday so will get him to my own vet as soon as to get that checked out. What helped th middle ear infections- antibiotiics? I assume insurance won't cover me for any of this being as I'm aware of a head tilt problem? (haven't got insurance started yet for them was going to sort once I have got them)

Thanks for all your help, it's such a worry especially with a new rabbit

Debs x

Dexter has pasturella and pus in his middle ear. Every so often he has a flare up and has a head tilt, he gets metacam, penecillin injections, baytril and flagyl for a month and then he is fine for a bit. Ultimately the only cure is a bulla osteotomy which is a hard surgery and I will not put him through it. He lives a perfectly happy life right now though :)

Back