• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hal - u/d 2nd June- Not 'the' Day

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Hal has been battling chronic pneumonia for almost 5 months. He has been on treatment all that time. Sadly now he is in 'end stage' :cry: He is not yet mouth breathing and I dont want him to get to that point, but he is really struggling to keep his blood oxygenated. Consequently his nose and lips are very blue/grey :cry: Hal is a Standard Rex and he used to weigh 2.8kg. He is now 2kg :cry: His respiratory rate and effort is permanently raised and any amount of exertion leaves him unable to lie down until he gets his breath back :cry:

It is so hard to make 'the decision' when the demeanour of the Rabbit defies their clinical symptoms. Hal is very bright within himself and is eating like a Horse. But a mouth breathing Rabbit is a very distressed Rabbit and I really dont want Hal to have to go through that.

C is coming over tomorrow afternoon to help Hal to The Bridge

:cry:

Last edited:
:( You really seem to be going through it at the moment Jane.

I am thinking of you and your rabbits often, and sending lots of vibes for Hal xxxxx

I am so sorry Jane, he is such a beautiful boy. This is so distressing for you, especially with all of Sir Victor's problems. Will be thinking of you both and sending love. I'm just praying for a miracle for you. xxxxxxxxxx

Thinking of you. You're incredibly brave and selfless, he's so lucky having you to make this decision for him.

Sending nose rubs for Jo as well.

Thank you

This shows Hal's breathing at it's 'best'

Click on image to play

:cry:

He tends not to lie down as much now, especially when his diuretic injection is due. He can breathe more easily when sitting up.

Oh jane!, I know this is so hard!, poor babys obviously struggling.
If you need a shoulder to cry on im always here, (such a big hug too you) :(

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this, Hal & Jo are two of my favs of yours :cry: Sending (((HUGS))) and nose rubs :( I hope his passing is comfortable, such very sad news for the gorgeous boy :(

:cry: I'm so sorry :( I love Hal, he's such a gorgeous bunny :love: :( you are right not to let him get to the stage where he's in distress. Sending tons of peaceful vibes and cuddles for him, and hugs for you xx

I hope Hal has a good last day with lots of special fuss. Peaceful passing vibes for him tomorrow xx

I am so sorry to see this about little Hal.

The video and your description of the blue/grey lips and nose bring back sad memories of the little Rex we had for such a short time. When keeping rabbits I can't think of anything more distressing to both keeper and rabbit than for them to go through such an awful experience and for us to witness their struggle in the knowledge there is so little we can do to help them. You have done remarkably well to keep Hal comfortable and happy within himself for so long. When the time is right for his passing may he do so with the peace and dignity you will afford him.

Stay strong Jane, I know how hard this is.:(

Hope Hal has a great last day with lots of attention.

Someone on here once said, wisely, it's always better to let go a day too soon than a day too late. Sending best wishes to you Jane xx

Back