• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homeopathic bunny health

Bink

Mama Doe
My mum went to ASDA yesterday and bumped into a lady in the herbs section - they made good friends and eventually realised they were both bulk buying basil for their bunnies :) they did the usual chatter we all do, you know, "How many have you got, What are their names" etc, etc.
Turned out she is also a dog behaviourist and she sounds really interesting - they even exchanged numbers.

However, Mum told me that this lady doesn't get her buns vaccinated against either myxi or VHD, you should have seen my face. Before I could unleash my pro-vaccinating speech, Mum said "Apparently she prevents it homeopathically".

Now, this is something I have never heard of. I did wonder whether maybe her buns have immunity problems that would be compromised by the jabs (obviously with them just standing in the aisle of a supermarket it was difficult to get into the nitty gritty, though I don't think I could have resisted), but I couldn't really think what she must be doing to stop/prevent either of these horrible things homeopathically. Does anyone have any ideas?

She also told my mum she gives her rabbits walnut, as apparently it clears the sludge out of their bladders.

I am posting out of interest really, what are your thoughts? Any homeopathic treatments anybody would/wouldn't recommend?

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall someone who used to be a member on here 'vaccinating' her rabbits homeopathically, and then had an outbreak of VHD - can anyone else back up whether my recollection is correct?

Personally I don't believe for one minute that it's possible for homeopathic remedies to be anything other than placebo (so they might 'work' for some humans in that respect) and would suspect that the reason these vaccines 'work' for her is pure luck that none of the rabbits have come into contact with either of the viruses. In much the same way some breeders don't vaccinate their stock and never have a case, whereas an unlucky individual can have several.

Personally I don't believe for one minute that it's possible for homeopathic remedies to be anything other than placebo (so they might 'work' for some humans in that respect) and would suspect that the reason these vaccines 'work' for her is pure luck that none of the rabbits have come into contact with either of the viruses. In much the same way some breeders don't vaccinate their stock and never have a case, whereas an unlucky individual can have several.

This was exactly what I thought, I just hope she doesn't have to find out the hard way.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall someone who used to be a member on here 'vaccinating' her rabbits homeopathically, and then had an outbreak of VHD - can anyone else back up whether my recollection is correct?

Yes, it's true, I'm sure - you remember correctly. :(

I thought that there was a homeopathic treatment once they had already caught myxi but it didn't stop them getting it :?

Thanks for the replies, interesting.

Just to add, I wasn't think of trying any "homeopathic vaccine" on my buns, I personally wouldn't dream of it, but was interested to see if anyone knew what it was all about :)

I can understand people trying homeopathic things (wether they work or not is another matter :p) for the same reasons people on here dont do whats recommended on rabbit food packets to give the rabbit a more natural and healthy(?) life

I can see how they could possibly help (well help being healthier) but not prevent catching diseases / viruses

I can understand people trying homeopathic things (wether they work or not is another matter :p) for the same reasons people on here dont do whats recommended on rabbit food packets to give the rabbit a more natural and healthy(?) life

I can see how they could possibly help (well help being healthier) but not prevent catching diseases / viruses

Homeopathy can not possibly treat any real disease. Homeopathy is diluted water. Nothing more. Water does not cure diseases.

The idea is not to treat the disease, it's to prevent it, as a vaccine. But, as has already been said, there have been some very sad cases of these sorts of 'vaccines' failing. I think they were more popular a few years ago than now, but I could be wrong.

Back