• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help!

deb_h

Warren Scout
Could someone please tell me what this is? Sorry photos are not the best.

20120531_221013.jpg

20120531_221013.jpg

I am panicing now thinking lola (my newly adopted bun) has fly strike. She is a long haired bun and so today I got some grooming sizzors and new brushes to give her a good groom as yesterday when I was checking her over I couldnt see a thing for all the fur. Iv been letting her settle in for a few days before giving her a good check over.

It looks like a messy bum with some poo and grass seeds stuck to it. How is she in herself? Still eating, still happy?

Oh thank god for that!!

I am really sorry to sound thick its just I have never taken a bun on that has been neglected before so dont really know what to expect. My other two bunnys have lovely clean bottoms so shocked me when I saw this one.

You cant really see on the pic but part of it does look weepy :( I will clean her bum first thing and take a better photo. Should I just use cool boiled water and cotton wool to clean or would you recommend using bunny shampoo. I also have some tea tree cream for minor wounds etc if you think that would help.

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease. :thumb:

And she seems ok, Happily had a snoop around my kitchen earlier and and nibbled a bit off curley kale. :D

She's really a very sweet bun. She has a little look round and then comes back to me and jumps on my knee as if for reassurance. :love:

Lukewarm boiled water with a tiny bit of salt, I would say.
Wouldn't go near her bum with shampoo, It could irritate I think..
Had to give my buns bum a wee clean when I got her too, her wee belly had loads of matted fur, previous owner never knew how to look after a bun. :(

Thank you :)

Its such a shame. The girl I got her from had just had a baby and moved out so left bun to her mum so she was pretty much in her hutch 24/7 with no run :( She seemed gutted to have to rehome her but did whats best x

Last edited:
With the right amount of space she should slowly come back to normal although you might want to increase her space slowly if she's been really restricted whilst she builds up muscle to minimise the risk of her damaging herself (like if a really unfit person tried to run a marathon they'd probably pull a muscle or three).
Its hard to tell from the pic but she might have a bit of hutch burn there if its scabby- which is were urine burns the skin and it scabs up. As it looks more pink than red I would say if they are scabs from hutch burn its already clearing up and its just the remaining few scabs to come off.

Thanks for the reply blue_vix! Tonight she seemed way more settled and there was less of the low head and bobbing than before so maybe she is getting use already. She had a little snoop around the kitchen again but she seems happiest with her head on my lap and being stroked and groomed :love:

I gave her bum a good clean (which she was not happy about) but their is still some muck on her. That said it is no were near as much and I managed to get all the grass seeds out. I think the area I was worried about is actually her sent glands? They had dark brown yack in them so I gave them a clean also. Was that the right thing to do?

I am going to give her back side a rest tomorrow as I think she is getting fed up with me cleaning them. After I had done them I left her to have a little look round the kitchen with my hubby why I cleaned her hutch. When I came back and attempted to pick her up she bolted. I tried again and she growled and went for me :shock: First time for me with any bun, almost jumped out of my skin.LOL.

I will just give her bum a quick check over tomorrow and spend the rest of our time cuddling and grooming how she likes it. She seemed to be really enjoying my company until the bum cleaning. Do you think I will have undone her trust towards me do you? I really hope not.

Back