• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newly spayed rabbits - need some advice please

sarahj4644

Young Bun
Hi. I had my 2 rabbits spayed yesterday. One is great - hopping around, weeing and doing some small poos. The other one is very quiet. She is eating dandelions and the fresh pile of veg I left her at lunchtime had gone. She's drinking from the bowl when i put it under her nose. Trouble is that she's not moving around much and I haven't found any wee or poo in her pen yet. Should I encourage her to move? Is it normal for her not to be weeing and pooing yet? Thanks.

Last edited:
If she is eating and drinking thats a good sign.

Ideally though she should be weeing and pooing.

I would suggest that if she has not improved by tomorrow morning, a trip to the vets asap would be necessary.

Bunnies can vary so much in how long it can take them to recover from operations.

Sending pooing and weeing wishes to the little darling. xx

She needs to be seen by a Vet again this evening. She should definitely have wee'd and poo'd by now. She probably needs more pain relief and a gut motility stimulant. Post surgical gut stasis is a possible complication and it always needs prompt treatment. I would contact a Vet now

Good luck

Just been back upstairs to check on her. Felt under her tail and she's soaking wet. Not nice for her but what a relief that at least it's coming through. Poor girl must still be too sore to move. Feel awful :( Have put her on vetbed so hope that helps. Thank you

Just been back upstairs to check on her. Felt under her tail and she's soaking wet. Not nice for her but what a relief that at least it's coming through. Poor girl must still be too sore to move. Feel awful :( Have put her on vetbed so hope that helps. Thank you

Has she poo'd too ? It is very important that she does so and certainly it is of significant concern if she has had no fecal output 24 hours after her spay.

I am not trying to alarm you, but if there has still not been any poo it really is essential that you consult a Vet tonight.

She's lots better today :D Lots of poos in the pen this morning and she's eating really well. :thumb: Stitches look good too so in a couple of days she should be much better. Thanks for the support :love:

She's lots better today :D Lots of poos in the pen this morning and she's eating really well. :thumb: Stitches look good too so in a couple of days she should be much better. Thanks for the support :love:

Excellent news!!!!!!

Noserubs to the little bun.:thumb::love::love:

Back