• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zylkene/ UD p10

I know this isn't particularly relevant to rabbits, but I have a neurotic cat who was continually over-grooming / plucking fur out, losing weight due to the resulting furballs, spraying everywhere, etc -very stressed for no obvious reason over a long period. After trying everything else with limited success (except steroids, which worked instantly but wasn't a long term option), I was recommended zylkene. After reading around and pricing it up, I decided not to bother. It was going to be about £1 a day, take several weeks to work and may have no effect at all.

It has taken about 2 years to sort him out - turns out it was an extreme reaction to the very rare fleas he encountered from other cats. The symptoms all went when I used a different prescription flea treatment, despite never seeing any sign of fleas on him, our other furries, and regularly treating the house.

As for using zylkene for rabbits, isn't it based on a milk product - which might make it unsuitable?

What is it being recommended for?

I know this isn't particularly relevant to rabbits, but I have a neurotic cat who was continually over-grooming / plucking fur out, losing weight due to the resulting furballs, spraying everywhere, etc -very stressed for no obvious reason over a long period. After trying everything else with limited success (except steroids, which worked instantly but wasn't a long term option), I was recommended zylkene. After reading around and pricing it up, I decided not to bother. It was going to be about £1 a day, take several weeks to work and may have no effect at all.

It has taken about 2 years to sort him out - turns out it was an extreme reaction to the very rare fleas he encountered from other cats. The symptoms all went when I used a different prescription flea treatment, despite never seeing any sign of fleas on him, our other furries, and regularly treating the house.

As for using zylkene for rabbits, isn't it based on a milk product - which might make it unsuitable?

What is it being recommended for?

It looks pretty cheap to buy on line :D

I wondered about the milk part of it but it is lactose free so does that make it OK :?

I've been told to try it for a week and see if it helps. If it doesn't I am not sure what is next.

Herman is manic due to neurological problems, he has been on diazepam with amazing success but has now been on it too long and the vets are concerned about his liver so need to find something else :?

Probably worth a go - there aren't the same options as for cats (eg Feliway diffuser). If it doesn't upset his digestion, I would be interested in the results.

I am assuming there is nothing along the lines of Bach's flower remedies / homeopathic / aromatherapy / herbal stuff to try which might have a calming influence? I tried a valerian & hops remedy for merlin - sprinkling it round where he sleeps. The other cats went loopy - like catnip. He got more aggressive so
I stopped using it.

The company that make Feliway are apparently developing one for bunnies. Is it worth contacting them and asking? It might be a little while away but maybe if it's only a short while there could be an interim solution until it comes out?

Sorry Liz, no idea about using it on bunnies but it did absolutely nothing for Meggie's firework phobia. But anything's worth a try.

No idea about bunnies, sorry but my gsd had started tail biting and this with a Dap collar cured her of the habit :)

Just a quick update on this for anyone interested

Herman has been off the diazepam for around 10 days and on this for a week. He is actually the best he has been in a very long time, much happier and settled than he was on the Diazepam :? :D

i don't know if it is down to the Zylkene or would have happened anyway but i am going to stick with it as he is a much more relaxed bunny at the moment, he even asks for cuddles which he has never done before:love::love:

Back