• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone else rabbit look unloved now theyve moulted

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Twinkle in the winter looked round and puffy, now she looks lean. She had a tumour removed a month ago and has been fine, she still is fine, eating/pooing etc but she just looks a different shape, Ozzie still looks round.

Weve only had them since autumn so not sure of their 'summer shape'.

they have both been rather subdued this last week with the heat. Its raining today and ive just got home, its sleepy time so they are still subdued.

Think I might weigh them. I am also on bum checking duty today so i can give them a proper look at. So should I be able to feel ribs/spine or not as the case maybe?

One of mine looks horrendous at the moment, a proper scruffy unloved mess! Tufts everywhere and generally dishevelled. Other one is not as bad. I feel like the moult has gone on for ages this year perhaps because of the weather?! I did read that it takes a lt of calories to moult so don't know if a bit of weight loss is inevitable.

Perhaps if you upload some pics, the bunny experts on here might be able to reassure you. :wave:

My two are still fluff balls, they havent moulted much this year! :shock:

My neighbours luckily are used to my weird animal things, I used to walk the deaf cat on a lead on the street till he got used to the area.

they have just watched me put my plastic mixing bowl on my kitchen scales in the aviary and weigh the bunnies!

Twinkle weighs just over 2k which is the same as at the vets when she was weighed before her op last month. I can sort of roughly feel her spine/ribs but they have a layer of fat on them they arent sticking out or anything.

I think I am probably worrying un-necessarily. After weighing she went off and stamped in the shed! so i reckon shes fine:shock:

Boris looks very scruffy when he's moulting heavily. As if he's been in a fight or something :shock: Makes me feel bad for him! :lol:

He also seems to shrink a few sizes after he's shed his "winter coat" (he's an indoor bun!) as that gets really thick and fluffy.

Fiver looks the same, he has moulted out his "winter" coat. He doesn't normally moult much as he is an indoor bunny but this year he moulted LOADS. He now looks sleek and lean but it's just because his fur is shorter. Mine have been subdued due to the heat and not getting really excited about their hay as usual. I think if her weight seems fine then I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye out for any more lumps and bumps, as long as she feels ok and is acting normal, eating and pooing like you said then I wouldn't worry too much. x

Perhaps if you upload some pics, the bunny experts on here might be able to reassure you. :wave:

My two are still fluff balls, they havent moulted much this year! :shock:

Sapphire only started her moult the day after this new heatwave! Now she looks like a street bun :(

Yes my two giants look a right mess. Having to pluck them and groom them which they love :roll: not

Many thanks for all the replies its put my mind at ease. I was concerned that she wasnt diggin in her digging tub then i discovered that one of the cats has been using it as a litter tray:lol::evil: I wouldnt want to dig either now!

Back