• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

possibly a daft question but......

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
The rabbits I took in yesterday are all un-neutered, the parents are brother and sister , now these two have had a litter and one of the babies came with them ( from what Ive been told there were only two babies in the litter the other one went to someone else and promptly gave birth to 7 more!!!!!).

So my question is this, why haven't they had any more babies?

Are there any reasons why they wouldn't have kept on producing as you would expect rabbits to do?

The boys are booked in to be neutered btw!

What sex is the baby?

It may be that the mother is not in a fit state to breed or under stress, and so she has given birth and killed the babies, or maybe they separated the brother and sister?

What sex is the baby?

It may be that the mother is not in a fit state to breed or under stress, and so she has given birth and killed the babies, or maybe they separated them?

They definitely werent seperated,I did wonder if she had maybe eaten them though , there was a boy and a girl, the girl was rehomed before they offered the others to me and the boy came with the parents.

They definitely werent seperated,I did wonder if she had maybe eaten them though , there was a boy and a girl, the girl was rehomed before they offered the others to me and the boy came with the parents.

I would assume that, unless you get her an emergency spay, she is pregnant again then. A litter of 2 is unusual anyway, maybe she's just not cut out to be a mum, there are some rabbits that kill all or some of every litter they have, fairly unusual but they are about. And she would have had a young litter at the time, so it wouldnt surprise me if she had killed them. Is she an okay weight? All this mustve taken a toll on her body, back to back pregnancies are really bad for them.

I would assume that, unless you get her an emergency spay, she is pregnant again then. A litter of 2 is unusual anyway, maybe she's just not cut out to be a mum, there are some rabbits that kill all or some of every litter they have, fairly unusual but they are about. And she would have had a young litter at the time, so it wouldnt surprise me if she had killed them. Is she an okay weight? All this mustve taken a toll on her body, back to back pregnancies are really bad for them.

Yeah I know its bad for them, shes seems ok weightwise tbh , the young one is 6 months old and ,as i said in my first post, his sister gave birth to 7 the day after she arrived in her new home!

Yeah I know its bad for them, shes seems ok weightwise tbh , the young one is 6 months old and ,as i said in my first post, his sister gave birth to 7 the day after she arrived in her new home!

6 months old :? that is weird... she has had time to have 4 or 5 litters by now.... and living with 2 entire males she must have been mated with plenty of times, how bizarre.

Good that her weight is good though.

6 months old :? that is weird... she has had time to have 4 or 5 litters by now.... and living with 2 entire males she must have been mated with plenty of times, how bizarre.

Good that her weight is good though.

Bizarre! my thoughts exactly lol thats why I've asked the question, cos I cant make sense of it :oops:

She may have had some uterine damage in the first pregnancy, or it is possible (though rare) for female bunnies to 'suspend' pregnancy and hold the fertilised eggs in the womb but not produce the hormones for them to start growing. She may have done that if the environment wasn't very good- especially living with two unneutered males. They babies would have been at risk from them. Hopefully spaying will resolve any issues.

She may have had some uterine damage in the first pregnancy, or it is possible (though rare) for female bunnies to 'suspend' pregnancy and hold the fertilised eggs in the womb but not produce the hormones for them to start growing. She may have done that if the environment wasn't very good- especially living with two unneutered males. They babies would have been at risk from them. Hopefully spaying will resolve any issues.

Oh right, thats interesting, I know Dad and baby hadn't been getting on ( which doesn't surprise me!) , would that have been enough to stress Mum out? I suppose it would?

Junior is seperate now , hes quite nervous, which equally doesn't surprise me bless him.

Back