• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Needing a bit outdoor bunny advice.

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
Me and Johnny have decided that once Poppy and Sam are bonded they should be moved outside to the shed, as they will love it. But would it be worth microchipping them just in case, as they are outside and in case of any accidents?? Also what is the best way to move them outside from being inside?? My vet said gradually build up the amount of time they are outdoors. Is he right?? Sorry for asking so many stupid questions.

Your questions aren't stupid! :wave: microchipping is just personal choice, most people don't but a few do!
If the weather is warm (which it is at the moment) your buns will be fine to go straight outside without getting them used to it. But if they are going to have access to grass and they aren't used to eating that all the time, you need to gradually build up the time they spend on the grass as it might upset their tums if they eat too much at first. :wave:

A couple of mine were microchipped when I got them but to be honest if they 'go missing' unless someone has the common sense to check them for the chip they are a waste of time and also it costs you to update your address when you move which when you have 7 buns would be very pricey therefore even if mine were checked the wrong address would be registered.

Your questions aren't stupid! :wave: microchipping is just personal choice, most people don't but a few do!
If the weather is warm (which it is at the moment) your buns will be fine to go straight outside without getting them used to it. But if they are going to have access to grass and they aren't used to eating that all the time, you need to gradually build up the time they spend on the grass as it might upset their tums if they eat too much at first. :wave:

See the vet mentioned that grass might be good cause Poppy isn't a good hay eater at all. I still give her unlimited hay but most of it is wasted cause she eats very little of it. I have a slabbed bit in my garden so would it be worth putting her in the run for a few hours on the slabs and building up the grass??

One of mine is chipped as the vet says with buns they like to do it under GA. She was already going to be spayed but I wasn't going to put her brother under just for a chip. If he ever needs to go under for any medical reason, I'll ask them to do it then.

All four of mine were chipped by the RSPCA as it was free during rabbit Awareness week. But as far as I'm concerned, mine won't get lost, and if someone steals them, they are not going to take them to get scanned!

Mine were all done without GA in minutes.

Back