• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Human antibiotic eye drops??

Has anyone's vet perscribed these for their rabbit?? My vet is asking me to try these now with Pixie as she has had 10 weeks of injections various drops and baytrill too and her eyes are still weeping - very long story as she's been through a lot lately but thankfully her eyes aren't tooth related in any way. Vet thinks the new eye drops will be far less stressfull for her and me as she will only have to see the vet once a week instead of every three days and also he has had good results using this product on rabbits in the past. Any advie would be brill, the name of the drops is Ciloxan. Many thanks Guys :wave:

Not sure about that one :? :lol: Someone will know :D

Poppy was on eye drops for a few weeks, but I can't remember the name of it.. I'll text my bf now and ask him :)

Edit: It's called Exorcin :) (from the vets) and it actually cleared up her gooey bits, she has over active tear ducts :)

Last edited:
Not sure about that one :? :lol: Someone will know :D

Poppy was on eye drops for a few weeks, but I can't remember the name of it.. I'll text my bf now and ask him :)

Edit: It's called Exorcin :) (from the vets) and it actually cleared up her gooey bits, she has over active tear ducts :)

Deleted as I was too slow in posting!

Yes Dudley had ciloxan recently for an eye ulcer that wouldn't heal with the usual fucithalmic etc. it is much broader spectrum so if the bacteria aren't responding to the relatively narrow spectrum ofany bunny eye drops, it's probably a good choice. It worked wonders and the ulcer cleared up very quickly :)

My rabbits are both on different eyedrops, one for ulcers, one for surface scratches plus they are both meant to have Lacrilube, which are human variety fake tears to ensure the eyelids close smoothly. Oreo's eye drops are a human variety, so I've given her strict instructions not to drive or operate heavy machinery for 15 minutes after I treat her, in line with the directions on the packet.

Thanks guys, that's good to know these drops may be helpful. Fingers crossed it clears it up as she cant be vaccinated until she's better. She's due to go into boarding for our hols in a few weeks time :thumb:

Back