• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO people who own ferrets and rabbits

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Me an my OH have been thinking about getting a ferret (or two!) for a while and, since finding a stray last week, we've decided we're probably going to go ahead with it. Our major concern is how best to make sure the rabbits were safe. We will soon have two groups of buns, A Trio upstairs and a pair outside. The plan would be to keep the ferrets in the garage so there would be a lot of doors and distance between them and the buns.

I have heard that buns can be scared of ferret smell, would we have to change clothes in between handleing buns and ferrets?

Also any general ferrety advice would be great. We probably know just about everything about ferrets thats on the internet from researching so much, but any added info would be great! :D

I think its unfair to keep any animal in the garage.Ferrets need light and air and space.
Yes, you would need to change clothes, and both species will smell each other constantly.
I had ferrets but when my last boy went, thats it for me with ferrets.I had them over 20 yrs.
The bunnies were an accident and they had nowhere to go.

Thanks
Sorry, the garage comment must have sounded awful! :shock: The garage is very light, well ventilated and will be almost completely empty. It would be just like keeping them in any other room in a house, not a typical garage. I'm going to use a triple explorer (same size as a triple ferret nation) cage with a large walk in play pen attached so they'll have plenty of space!!

Could the smell be too much for the buns. They didn't seem upset/scared when we had our stray ferret temporarily but I know how buns can hide what they're truly feeling. Is it possible to get ferrets at all or are we being irresponsible? :(

Back