• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Needed: Large (3kilo plus) neutered female as 'guide bun' for blind male bun (Cambs)

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
My vet has asked me to contact rescues to see if anyone has in a large young docile female bun suitable to become partner to male housebun who has congenital glaucoma (but is otherwise healthy). He has just had one eye out and vet has suggested to the buns owner that they look for a female companion for him now so that when he looses sight in other eye he already has a companion to help him adjust and move around etc.

The male is apparently very much loved, a youngish housebun very docile himself - not a giant but in the 3.6k category so similar female sought.

I will be in contact direct with owner soon so am collating possible girlies.

Good luck with your search.......... A guide bunny............ Wonderful :D

Blind bunnies tend to do well with another bun by ther side to help them out - I had a blind bun who was like this.

We are hoping to find a female for this bun whilst he still has some sight - so the bond will be less traumatic for him.

Just to be clear - i am acting as an intermediary here - and once poss buns located will pass details to owners. . . it is not one of my buns.

Smoo is an excellent guide bunny for Grim, she herds him towards food. :D
I hope you have luck finind one. She's not docile though, she's really bossy, she tells Grim what to do and she mothers him and cleans his eyes.

You don't necessarily need a large girl bun to bond with a big boy bun. It might help widen your possibilities to look for a medium bun. My Darcy is a frenchie who is losing his sight. He has Cataracts in both eyes but his right eye is now getting so bad it looks like he is going blind in that one. :( He gets around really well still and doesn't let it hold him back.

Darcy is bonded with small/medium sized bunny and they love eachother to bits. xxx

You don't necessarily need a large girl bun to bond with a big boy bun. It might help widen your possibilities to look for a medium bun. My Darcy is a frenchie who is losing his sight. He has Cataracts in both eyes but his right eye is now getting so bad it looks like he is going blind in that one. :( He gets around really well still and doesn't let it hold him back.

Darcy is bonded with small/medium sized bunny and they love eachother to bits. xxx

Thats what I said - but the owner wants a big bun and believes it will be better - personally I wouldnt mind but they want larger.

You could try PACT. Last I heard they still had some of the horsford buns looking for homes and they were mainly NZ whites and other large breeds. However, knowing PACT I doubt many of them will have had a lot of handling. I'm not sure if they have many fosterers working with them to be honest.:?

We have the lovely Macie. No idea what she would be like as a house bunny destruction wise but she would love it. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?332642

From my personal experience it doesn't matter about size, but they need a very calm inner temperment so that they dont get 'phased' or increase any anxiety that the blind bunny might be feeling.

I have a NZW nearly 18 months, very placid, doesn't binky or anything very energetic. I would only let her go to a very good home as she is a sweetie-pie.

Back